US divers using metric?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

On the usefulness of handheld computers to convert things, since another thread was just talking about a depth of 42 meters, I was wondering how much that was in feet, so I put it into my handy conversion app and this is what it told me :D

View attachment 188028
It looks to me like that app said "WTF is 42?".. and the correct answer is of couse that 42 is the answer to the life, the universer and everything...

Well maybe if you are checking tires, though I can't say I have seen anything but a scuba gauge with bar on it I have seen one or 2 with kPa though.
And which real life purposes would that be? Like pressure in bicycle or car tires, which often is given in bar? Or you mean things like atmospheric pressure, which is usually given in hPa (1000 hPa = 1 bar), but where you guys don't use PSI but rather inches of mercury (which equals a convenient 0.491098 PSI for conversion purposes)?

That MAY be because you're in the US...
Tire gauges and Turbo gauges are two things off the top of my head you'll find to read in bar here in europe...

Well maybe if you are checking tires, though I can't say I have seen anything but a scuba gauge with bar on it I have seen one or 2 with kPa though.
Fresh from our bicycle pump around the corner :D

2014-07-04 19.04.16.jpg

Not that it really matters though, because you can easily convert between the two using factors of 10.

You know, you're really just concocting a straw man argument. All we really need to know for daily life is how many quarts or pints to a gallon and how many inches per foot. The rest don't come into play much, and for the rare cases they do, we've got these new-fangled handheld computers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

and its because of computers that we have switched to pretty dumb generations, that can't even do simple math in their head, i've seen at the store during the blackout, without a cash register the clerk took 5 minutes to calculate my change
when i went to school, a good chunk of the material in 2nd to 4th grade was dedicated strictly to learning all the measurements and conversions

The trick is not to calculate change, but start counting :eek:
$43,50
+,50=44+1=45+5= your $50.. how hard can it be...

Yep, education has gone down hill for some years. You can all go ahead and use your metric and sing it's praises. I'll continue to think in PSI and feet and be able to make decisions on a set of numbers I understand. 2.8 for a tire pressure just don't sound right.:D

Yep, education has gone down hill for some years. You can all go ahead and use your metric and sing it's praises. I'll continue to think in PSI and feet and be able to make decisions on a set of numbers I understand.
Old habits die hard, no question about it. But there's a clear benefit for the future in making the effort, especially for coming generations.

FWIW, currently I also dive in imperial, despite growing up in a metric country and originally having learned diving in metric (and now being in a country that's at least officially metric). I'd switch immediately if it wasn't for the fact that every time you ask someone around here for things like depth or temperature, you will be told in feet and °F. I don't use the imperial units for any other purposes.

But a newton is a measurement of energy or force is it not?

Keep it simple. 1 pascal = 1 newton per square meter

iPhone. iTypo. iApologize.

Back
Top Bottom