US Divers Pro diver reg

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PADI Knight

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Information from some of the techs here. My LDS (Agualung dealer and certified tech)called last night and informed me that my used US divers pro diver 1st and 2nd stage regs are unservicable due to no parts. He also stated the 1st stage is "locked" up as he can't get it apart to even look at it. Said it worked but he wouldn't recommend using is as it could start to "free flow" HP air at any time = no air flow to the pro diver 2nd stage. He also said my US divers Octo is in good shape though (looks exactly like the 2nd stage pro diver only yellow case) and should be good to go. He said the shop would be happy to fit me with a new SP 1st and 2nd scuba pro regulator. From reading the posts on this board I found a couple that state the Conshelf XIV parts work on the pro diver.

I'm looking for a second opinion as nothing was offered from the shop other than the SP gear. Would he not know of AL parts interchangability? Can the 1st stage be "unstuck" if you can't get it to open up?

Thanks

finallydoinit:
Information from some of the techs here. My LDS (Agualung dealer and certified tech)called last night and informed me that my used US divers pro diver 1st and 2nd stage regs are unservicable due to no parts. He also stated the 1st stage is "locked" up as he can't get it apart to even look at it. Said it worked but he wouldn't recommend using is as it could start to "free flow" HP air at any time = no air flow to the pro diver 2nd stage. He also said my US divers Octo is in good shape though (looks exactly like the 2nd stage pro diver only yellow case) and should be good to go. He said the shop would be happy to fit me with a new SP 1st and 2nd scuba pro regulator. From reading the posts on this board I found a couple that state the Conshelf XIV parts work on the pro diver.

I'm looking for a second opinion as nothing was offered from the shop other than the SP gear. Would he not know of AL parts interchangability? Can the 1st stage be "unstuck" if you can't get it to open up?

Thanks
can You post a Pic??? I am a USD tech and work with conshelf all the time as that is what I dive. I truly cannot imagine a 1st stage Stuck to the point of not getting it open though nothing is impossible I suppose. I swear by USD and have never had a problem so that being said.....But I do not know if the pro parts xchange I will look and get back.
Aqua

P.S. USD & Aqua Lung is same same why would he push SP??

Aquadoc68:
can You post a Pic??? I am a USD tech and work with conshelf all the time as that is what I dive. I truly cannot imagine a 1st stage Stuck to the point of not getting it open though nothing is impossible I suppose. I swear by USD and have never had a problem so that being said.....But I do not know if the pro parts xchange I will look and get back.
Aqua

I'll try. I haven't picked up the setup yet but I do seem to remember noticing some corrosion around the base of the first stage just around the seam from the bottom screw in the pic. I wouldn't think it would be that difficult for a shop that has the proper tools to "break" the threads. Could be much more difficult than "breaking" the 50 year old bolts on my 8N tractor.

finallydoinit:
I'll try. I haven't picked up the setup yet but I do seem to remember noticing some corrosion around the base of the first stage just around the seam from the bottom screw in the pic. I wouldn't think it would be that difficult for a shop that has the proper tools to "break" the threads. Could be much more difficult than "breaking" the 50 year old bolts on my 8N tractor.

Well, I would remove the hoses, put in some port plugs, make sure the dust cap was on securely(with a good oring), and submerge the bottom part of the reg in some warm vinegar. That will eat away the corrosion in the threads without harming the chrome. Then, get a first stage handle(http://www.scubatools.com/PBUniversal.html) or have something made at a machine shop to do the same thing, and crank that puppy off with an open end wrench. Be careful not to slip and scratch or dent the chrome.
Then, provided that it is in fact Conshelf compatible, you should be able to just get a rebuild kit, clean the holy heck out of the body, and rebuild it. If you can't get a kit, let me know.

Went to shop and spoke with tech. He had some good new. The Octo had some small cracks starting where the hose connected and he could find a new case $12.00. The primary checked out OK. Problem is in the first stage he said he can get the rebuilt kit just can't get the bottom to unscrew. He kept it in the ultrasonic cleaner overnight. Even showed me where his wrench slipped off the housing (the things stuck tight). The guages checked out OK as well so at the least I'll need a new 1st stage I guess or since my daughter needs gear too I could use both 2nds as octos and get new 1st and seconds. Tech said if I didn't mind he'd take it home as he had some different things to try there. I figure ok if he gets it off he can fix it as I'd just toss it eventually if I can't get it off. At least he found parts he said the conshelf XIV parts worked on the pro diver by the way.

finallydoinit:
just can't get the bottom to unscrew.
The Pro Diver Service manual showed putting not one, but two tools (well, they showed CO2 cartridges) into two LP ports and mounting the two of them in a vise before taking wrench to the flats on the HP nozzle. A similar technique might work with the spring retainer, if that’s what you mean by bottom. If it would help, PM me a snail mail address, and I’ll send you a copy of the exploded parts diagram.

Well, thanks warm. Confirms what the shop tech told me the other day. He did find parts for the second stage and octo. Looks like I'll need to get a new 1st though. I'm not too sure I want to go with Scubapro all the rental gear the shop has is SP and I haven't been too happy with the second stages and octos on their rigs. Although, they are rental units and probably take lots of abuse but seem to free flow quite often and I really don't want to be wasting all that air all the time.

There are plenty of Aqua Lung first stages still supported and marketed as well, such as the Titan, Cousteau, Legend, etc. If your LDS is a dealer / tech center for AL, they should be able to tell you which models are currently supported.

Back
Top Bottom