US Divers MH8A Transmitter troubleshooting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aviator8

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I took a gamble and bought one of these on ebay. It was listed as for parts because he had no way to test it. He indicated that the last time he used it before he put it up it worked fine so I went ahead and took a gamble thinking that if it got put up working and had never been flooded it should work. I got it today and tried syncing it up with my Perdix but no luck. I am wondering if anyone has any other troubleshooting suggestions I can try before contacting Aqualung to see what my options are.

So far I have tried

• Three sets of batteries. The set shipped with, a set i had, and to be absolutely sure I went and bought a new set (303/357 type 3X).
  • I put them in orientation positive side down as the label indicated. To be sure I flipped them to with no luck.
  • I tried removing my other transmitter completely from my Perdix and just setting this one on T2
  • The serial number is 006253 017. I have tried adding it as 006253 and 253017 to the Perdix.
  • I have tried gas on and off between each steps
  • I have tried cycling the Perdix off between each change.
I may have just taken a bad gamble here and ended up with a paper weight. If anyone can think of anything else I can try I appreciate it. I wish there was an easy way to validate if it was one being activated, and two broadcasting a signal. I know the computer is fine as it works fine with my other transmitter. Here are a few pics so you can see which transmitter I am talking about. It does show FCC MH8A on the end and the battery compartment looks clean. I have looked all around and see no evidence of corrosion or flooding.

IMG_9479.JPG
IMG_9483.JPG
IMG_9482.JPG
IMG_9481.JPG

that is the oldest version of the transmitter. try cleaning the contacts. also shake the transmitter and see if you hear anything is loose. could be a wire has come loose internally.

that is the oldest version of the transmitter. try cleaning the contacts. also shake the transmitter and see if you hear anything is loose. could be a wire has come loose internally.
Nothing loose detectable inside. There are no compartment springs. One of the sets I tried was slightly thicker than the others so That "should" have ruled out a bad seat but I should play with that a bit. I will give the contacts a quick clean before that though.

Cleaned the contacts on both sides and tried again with no dice. Can anyone confirm the correct way to enter the Transmitter ID on the Perdix? First 6 or last 6 digits of the SN.

should be first 6, 006253
Thanks

Well I guess my next question is has anyone here actually paired a first gen transmitter like this with a Perdix? Being a MH8A transmitter is "should" work but it would be nice to know that someone confirms tat they have done it.

I'd try and make/borrow an RF detector that covers the transmitter's frequency and see if the thing is even transmitting.

I'd try and make/borrow an RF detector that covers the transmitter's frequency and see if the thing is even transmitting.
I would just give up and use it as a plug.

Unfortunately, I don't know anyone with that type equipment. Building it is probably impractical for me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom