US Divers depth gage leaking oil

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mudhog

Reaction score
Just got this older used unit, plastic case, stop pin at 9 o clock, reads to 150.
Has lost most of its oil.
Any way of gettin this gage functional or should I just get another?

Time for a new one, I'm afraid. It's done.

Yeah. This is too important of piece of equipment to monkey with. Get a new one.

On the other hand, some duct tape...eyebrow

Rick, can he use Black Jack gum? It would be rule 6 compliant, would it not?

If the guys I dive with had that one, they would have already swapped it into my console for a good one when I wasn't looking. Mark ALL of your gear.

Well I will pop it open just to see what makes it tick, got one thats good still so don't worry bout me using the broke one.:D

Update: bezel does screw down, soft plastic diaphram on back side of gage had a split, DOA.

if you can find the leak,
open the fill plug
drain the remaining oil
use marine plastic epoxy to fix the hole / crack... use acetone to clean off ALL traces of the oil first...
refil with light machine oil....
make sure that you get all of the bubbles out, unless you want errors.. tip, flex the housing in until the bubbles are gone, and submerge the housing in the oil and allow it to suck oil back in....
when full replace the plug.... and acetone / epoxy it back in place if you feel the need

I did this to a compass recently with no probs...

regarding the naysayers... I agree it's important.. but if it is done right there will be no problems... the most important bit is to get ALL the air out! b/c air compresses obviously and oil does not (well any more than water but we won't go there)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom