US Divers Arctic Reg may need to be replaced looking for your input.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UncleScubaTrev

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi, I originally posted this last week, but the data has been lost. I appreciated all the input from you guys and would really like to have your insight again. I've been diving in the cool Newfoundland waters for 15 years with my US Divers Arctic Reg. Most dives are around 60 feet but occasionally I approach 120 feet while on wrecks. I don't currently dive in the winter but want to keep that option open. I've had some cold dives early in the season and when below the thermocline. The reg has been reliable and bulletproof. It's served me very well and I'm happy with its performance. I am comforted knowing I have a dedicated cold water reg in this environment. My service guy recently indicated it might be at the end of it's life and need to be retired. He said the interior components are losing some of the chrome plating. He also indicated I might be able to extend it's life by having another service location do a "re-build" on the current reg. That cost may be better spent invested in new gear. If it is truly necessary to replace the reg that's OK, but I can't afford to replace the reg unnecessarily. I've had the gear serviced by the same location annually since I've had the gear.

1. If my gear has to be replaced what reg setup would give me the same cold water ability at the best possible price?

2. Is there a recommended place to buy the gear for best prices?

3. If the current reg setup does not need to be "retired" but just serviced, what level of service is to be expected with a regular annual service? I'm not knowledgable about what interior components in my first and second stages that should be replaced with a service and I want to make sure I'm getting the right work done. I may have to go to another service location that is more familiar with US Divers product line. I really like the reg and would like to continue using it in the future.

Thank you for any insight you can give me. I appreciate your expertise.

If you like the reg then I would have it serviced, a typical service replaces all the components that are subjected to wear. Unless the chrome is peeling from some of the mating surfaces I am not sure if it would have any significant effect on a sealed diaphragm regulator but maybe somebody else can correct me on this. The first stage is a solid reg and the second is very freeze resistant but not the best breathing. I changed to a Hog second stage on mine to give me the option of adjusting it and I do find it breathes easier. The adjustable seconds from Apeks or Aqualung could also be used but make sure that they have a solid reputation in cold water. Not sure many would classify Newfoundland waters as cool, most would consider them as being bl**dy cold.

Back
Top Bottom