US cash or Peso

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had no issues in Manila, Angeles,or Boracay finding ATMs - but - in Boracay the ATMs would not work with my credit union issued debit card because they did not access the "right" networks. Not all debit cards and not all ATM machines use the same networks.

set your budget, then upon your arrival, open a Peso ATM account with either BPI, BDO, etc.

use your LOCAL atm card then at ATM machnes nearby, note: may have a limit per day of php10,000.00

US$ notes with tears on any nature , miniscule or not will not be accepted by the banks.

Last edited:
I'd echo what Rogersea said - you'd get a better exchange rate in a formal money-changer than by paying $ directly. I've normally found the best rates in branches of Sanry's in Metro Manila.

Typical charge for using an overseas credit card in an ATM is 250php (plus whatever your card might charge). For some reason, certain bank ATMs don't seem to accept my VISA card - I stick to Metrobank and BDO wherever possible.

In rural areas, the ATMs do run out of cash quickly - especially if there is a national holiday or on/near month-end pay days. Also, many ATMs outside of Manila (those 'standalone' ones not built into the side of banks) run via an internet connection. Internet outages and brown-outs mean the ATMs all fail.

Be prepared to show patience whenever using a credit card - there's some stone-age mentality still around, with some salespeople having very little understanding of modern banking practices. Quite often, you'll encounter shop staff that don't know what 'chip and pin' is, or don't understand what a 'VISA Debit' card is (there's only credit card or ATM card, don't you know...).

Spent 15 minutes 'debating' the validity of an American Express card last month with a payment agent for concert tickets... because it didn't have "embossed writing".. and was therefore an ATM card...not an acceptable credit card.. Lady point-blank refused to even try the card in the machine, until her manager was called.

Spent 15 minutes 'debating' the validity of an American Express card last month with a payment agent for concert tickets... because it didn't have "embossed writing".. and was therefore an ATM card...not an acceptable credit card.. Lady point-blank refused to even try the card in the machine, until her manager was called.

Lucky you, there are times when American Express Card is temporarily not accepted even in makati.

Check with your bank first before going to the Philippines to let them know that you will be using your ATM card in Manila or wherever, I had a problem a few years ago where my ATM card did not work and then got blocked, the bank tried to call me but my phone was in the hotel safe.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom