Urgently switching from a BOV to a regular 2nd stage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JonG1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
As many probably do, I constantly evaluate my rig and tweak and change it.

Up until relatively recently I used to run the 2nd stage for the deep bailout on a necklace to back-up the BOV.

When I switched to a QD on the deep bailout I also started stowing the back up 2nd on the stage.

Partly for simplicity of hose routing partly because if I continued with the necklaced reg it would be routed via a manifold and QD which could in the event of failure render both regs fubar, requiring another 2nd direct off the first stage under bungees on the cyl.

WO getting into the debate about long hose, donation of gas etc. I am wondering how many people have had to urgently go from BOV to back up 2nd.

Obviously the oc BOV could be compromised, diaphragm, debris etc or possibly most likely caustic. I am interested in the incidence rate.

At weekend I had to bail for real, but had ample time to switch from BOV to stowed 2nd stage despite 2 bottles on the left side, and could have finished on the BOV but was good practice to make the switch.

So I am now pondering adding the necklaced reg back in for those urgent scenarios but it's an extra failure point, might be over kill etc.

I have never really had to bail in anger. I have a few times in training and did once due to a bad cell that I didn't want to mess with but it wasn't super urgent.

That said, I dive a one of my units with a BOV + gag strap so I'm not switching to a standard anytime "fast". In the event of a caustic (which is pretty hard to do with a Meg) I can rinse the closed loop/ open second stage in a pinch. I don't mind a necklaced backup but it seems like it would be a lot of stuff under my chin and perhaps a bit of overfocusing on speed to the detriment of being tidy.

My kiss is much more likely to have a caustic. For various reasons I dive no-BOV and a necklaced backup on that unit.

Raises his hand slightly.

I use QC6's to feed my DIL and BOV. I once was doing a gas switch while doing my 120' deco stop and didn't get my QC6 properly mated. The unit I was diving at the time only had a BOV and ADV to get gas into it (no MAV). I exhaled, vented the gas, tried to inhale to trigger the ADV and got that oh so uncomfortable feeling when you discover you've got no gas source plumbed in.

While not technically your scenario, I was glad to have a short hose around my neck that I could grab onto.

Thanks both, I too dive with a gag and when using a helmet the easy place to the get the BOV too quickly is under the chin which when I recall was one of the reasons why I switched the back up 2nd to the stage bungees!

I only feed the BOV with a QD and don't anticipate switching the feed, but I guess if i ever did configure in that way I could deploy the 2nd for easy back-up if required.

I hadn't had to bail in anger before so was a good learning experience, and makes you reflect on your response, configuration etc.

I think I'll leave as is for now.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom