Urgent Review Required Dc500

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

desiredbard

Contributor
Reaction score
Sorry for the urgency but got the brother in law comming over in 6 days to Ireland and this camera is at least $500-600 cheaper than in Ireland and the UK.

I am talking about this baby: http://www.sealife-cameras.com/cameras/dc500_pro.html

Any one any experience on the came, it quality, the flash, its userfriendlynes etc etc

Especially interested in the downside and negative aspects

There is a negative review on this site.

I can't tell from the specs I looked at whether or not this camera has manual white balance capability. I wouldn't purchase any camera for underwater use that did not have this feature, especially if it does not have a RAW mode, which the DC500 apparently does not have.

IMHO you are much better off with an Olympus SP350, Canon S80 or Fuji E900. The Canon does not have RAW but the other two do.

The Canon and Olympus are 8 megapixel. The Fuji is 9. The Sealife is 5.

Sorry to the snobs (and sorry I called you that) but for someone new to underwater photography, the Sealife DC500 is a good camera. It's perfect for a first time user. I've been taking film shots for 10 years and got quite good (with film). Having never used a digital camera, the Sealife DC500 was recommended to me by Optiquatics who's entire foucus is underwater photography. It does have a manual white balance, ability to shut off the digital zoom and more that I am learning.

Buying a top rated camera or SLR camera would defeat a new user. I got the whole package including strobe, extra memory, extra battery and charger, Wide angle & Close up lenses with shipping for $908.75 at B&H PhotoVideo.

But don't forget the strobe. You need more light underwater and get close and shoot up.

Have a sony cybershot p100 already, see my issue with left dark bottom corner
Sony discontinues its cameras after 6 months (and its parts)
After buying the camera I managed (5 months later) to get the last housing in ireland, but am unable to get a difuser or strobe

Buying a strobe sets me back around $350 so for mere 200 I have another camera + housing, and the strobe (I just found out) is usable with sony as well (Bit of mcguivering to fit the sensor on the sonyhousing.

I do not want to go overboard on price yet (In that case I would co for a £ or 4M camera and work with stills anyway) but I do not have 2 grand to spare.

Thanks for all the detailed comments.

Ok I also have the DC500, and as I am not a wannabe professional I love it. Like anything else it does have its quirks and learning curve. But it took great pictures in Pearl Lake with 5' of viz. I have the Pro set with the yellow strobe and it is very easy to use. I also put a 1 gig card Sandisk and have had no problems with freeze up. It also has manual white balance. It is very easy to maintain also and the help I have gotten from Sealife has been great. I know the battery life is an issue but I bought a second battery for $14.00 with shipping. I took 87 pictures on a 1+ hour dive and never shut it off. I kept the display on at all times. I know Sealife said they are working on a new battery as we speak. I got my whole setup for $617.00 and at this time as a novice I wouldn't change it. It's sometime hard to remember that you are diving to dive and taking pictures is a pleasant side effect.

Oh by the way my avatair is from my DC500 in Lake geneva at 35'. not bad at all....

Thank you cheddar chick.
5' is good viz on the eastcoast of ireland.
If the spare battery is that cheap.... try that on a sony or other "brand" camera.

Is there an external charger... Just talked to the brother in law and he is going into town (NY) tomorrow... am searching for this stuff but have not found any other reasonable priced dealers in NY other than leisurepro

WAIT... ' = Inch " = Foot ???
You had 5 Inches of Viz ??? or Your avatar wat taken at 35 feet (at what depth cause no flash is that good...is it ? )
Bloody imperial system..the world shoud go metric

Back
Top Bottom