urchin sting question...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JackSpearo:
it's totally healed up...you can't tell if anything is in there...it just hurts where it was at..
thanks though

I don't know if it's the same toxin, but I had a Crown of Thorns cause the same symptoms when I got poked in the tip of my thumb collecting them off a reef. It was tender to the touch for about 3 months too.

White vinegar is certainly a help for urchin hits. In the Cocos, it is the huge man eating urchins that most really need to be afraid of, and not the thousands of sharks. Next summer will be my 10th or 11th trip there and roughly 55% of guests get an urchin hit. Another trick, which I also learned in the Cocos, was to rub papaya on the hits. The enzymes help dissolve the black bits still under the skin. Contrary to rumor, peeing on oneself or having someone else do you the favor, does absolutely nothing. For one thing, urine is just not hot enough and, for the most part, is just sterile water and proteins.
Steve:14:

On my wifes very FIRST open water dive, she firmly planted her hand on a spiny sea urchin. 17 spines in it. She pulled them out, made the second dive, went out to dinner with me, and then finally to the emergency clinic where they proceeded to try to give her a shot next to each site so that they could dig them out. That lasted about 4-5 shots, and then she said "Just dig them out." And so the doc dug them out one by one.

Now I know why men do NOT go through childbirth!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom