Urchin diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Anyone know someone who dives commercially for urchins? Any money in it?

The shells are pretty:wink:

A.D. Next time your down pick me up a few hundred:idk:

Be careful what you ask for, those things really stink after being out of water a few hours!

Porgy,

like ZKY said, there's not as much $ in it as there was in the old days. Get "Bluewater Goldrush" if you already haven't. (although I'm guessing that's the reason you posted this thread). There are several folks in the Santa Barbara and Ventura harbors who still do it. If you ever make it out this way, they're an interesting group to talk to. I briefly considered doing it and even have my permit applications for my crewmember permit and commercial fishing license (in case the world ever falls off and I need $ badly enough) sitting on the desk as we speak. I literally was thinking of doing it the other day. My girlfriend said she'd spot me the $ in case I needed the license (what a wonderful woman).

There is a fella up in the San Francisco area who still goes out to the Farallons (spelling?) on a regular basis to dive for them. He dives alone. Some would call him crazy, I think he's someone I'd like to meet one day. Sounds like someone I could easily just be around for hours, listening to them talk.

I read a book about the Farallones and it mentioned "that guy"....Is he still out there, alone, diving a hose from his boat, 25 miles off San Fran Bay in one of the densest White Shark populated areas on Earth, for urchins to feed the Asian market? Does ANYONE know this guys name? Any books or magazine articles about him? I would DEF fly back to Cali just to spend a few hours throwing back bevies and listening to his stories…talk about a sketchy way to make a living...LOL

I read a book about the Farallones and it mentioned "that guy"....Is he still out there, alone, diving a hose from his boat, 25 miles off San Fran Bay in one of the densest White Shark populated areas on Earth, for urchins to feed the Asian market? Does ANYONE know this guys name? Any books or magazine articles about him? I would DEF fly back to Cali just to spend a few hours throwing back bevies and listening to his stories…talk about a sketchy way to make a living...LOL

Ron Elliot.

What was the name of the book you read?

Kristopher

tHE BOOK IS ''THE DEVILS TEETH'' SHOWS A PIC OF THE GUYS BOAT NAMED ''GW'' FOR GOOD REASON. THE GUY HAS SEEN OVER 400 WHITES UNDERWATER! REALLY GOOD BOOK! SOME SPOOKY **** TOO!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom