Urchin Diver Interview

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I am new to diving and I am a graduate student who's interested in the marine ecosystem of California.
I am wondering any of you guys would like to do an interview for me to let people know what you guys are doing and what the current situation is at the bottom of the California coast.
Please let me know if anyone would like to tell people more about their underwater job. Thanks!
My email is decipherkular@gmail.com

Best,
Quan

As far as commercial urchin divers actually diving for urchins these days, I understand it’s pretty slim. There are not a lot of big reds out there and the ones that are out there have very little roe and are not the best.
I know of one guy working out of Point Arena (or he used to at least) but I think that’s pretty much gone. I heard about a few guys working out of Fort Bragg.
If you think the commercial guys are here hanging out on SB to answer questions, I seriously doubt it unless @DivingLion01 is one.
If you’re wondering about the invasive purple urchins, yes there are millions of them and nothing else. It’s a total disaster on epic levels. But it’s not really news because it’s out of sight and mind to the public since it’s under the waves. Kelp is very critical to the survival of the planet since it’s a very important carbon sink. But nobody really cares about Northern California diving since it’s not Cozumel, a beloved quarry, or a cave somewhere in FL.
However, there is some kelp coming back that I have seen when driving up the coast but I have not been able to get in the water (because of very crippling sciatic issue) to see what’s going on on the bottom that allows the kelp to reforest.
When I do get back in the water I’ll let you know what I see, from a recreational divers point of view of course.
9056E2BB-8AB2-45B7-B36B-E0AB701E2F07.jpeg

This was a dive at Stillwater cove in Sonoma County where I collected the allowed 40 gallons of purple urchins.
Can’t wait to be able to do it again.
Anybody want to help?
It’s not Cozumel, but it is getting wet and blowing bubbles.
Anybody?

However, there is some kelp coming back that I have seen when driving up the coast but I have not been able to get in the water (because of very crippling sciatic issue) to see what’s going on on the bottom that allows the kelp to reforest.
Kelp and abalone populations definitely beginning to replenish up in Humboldt County... Still tons of purples, but I'm seeing them lose ground in certain areas although that could be due to seasonal and conditional variations between observations. I did all of my scientific diver training in Humboldt and Mendocino counties and unfortunately did not keep data that I surveyed so this is all anecdotal on my part.
New Findings on Kelp Forest Restoration > USC Sea Grant > USC Dana and David Dornsife College of Letters, Arts and Sciences
Definitely rad that the efficacy of these cullings is being justified through scientific studies, and I'm always amped to help out the kelp and abalone!

Kelp and abalone populations definitely beginning to replenish up in Humboldt County... Still tons of purples, but I'm seeing them lose ground in certain areas although that could be due to seasonal and conditional variations between observations. I did all of my scientific diver training in Humboldt and Mendocino counties and unfortunately did not keep data that I surveyed so this is all anecdotal on my part.
New Findings on Kelp Forest Restoration > USC Sea Grant > USC Dana and David Dornsife College of Letters, Arts and Sciences
Definitely rad that the efficacy of these cullings is being justified through scientific studies, and I'm always amped to help out the kelp and abalone!
I should also mention that this urchin infestation is probably not the first one to hit our area.
I found evidence several years ago that indicated there have been urchin barrens in the past.
At Gerstle Cove in Sonoma County I have seen many rocks that were completely pitted with past urchin burrow holes. They only do this when there is an infestation and they are starving out. They literally resort to eating rock by gnawing holes where they then settle into to go dormant for the long haul and they become “zombie” urchins.
When I saw these rocks they were completely devoid of any urchins and in fact were encrusted with all sorts of other sea life that had made homes in those holes, so I know it was at some point long ago that the event occurred.
I first saw these pitted rocks in 1999-2000.
At that time there was a very healthy reef system with tons of kelp and fish and abalone everywhere, so if there was an urchin barren event before that then I’m confident that the kelp will overcome this ordeal and be back in the future.

Hi guys,
I am new to diving and I am a graduate student who's interested in the marine ecosystem of California.
I am wondering any of you guys would like to do an interview for me to let people know what you guys are doing and what the current situation is at the bottom of the California coast.
Please let me know if anyone would like to tell people more about their underwater job. Thanks!
My email is decipherkular@gmail.com

Best,
Quan
Sent you an email.

Back
Top Bottom