Upgrading

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We've been shooting with both the Canon 7D and the Canon 5D Mark III.

Basically, the Canon 5D Mark III has better low light, cleaner images less grain and noise. The 5D Mark III images are simply outstanding.

Full frame also gives you better wide-angle lens options, if you like wide-angle.

Video is greatly improved. Again better low light and cleaner images. Most all of the moire and aliasing problems have been fixed. You can shoot using all-i frame codec. It should give better results for fast motion and hold up better in post-processing.

Hope this helps - Scott

I take it your shooting was all in a UW setting? If so, thanks for your take on things. I've been wanting to see a 7D vs 5D3 comparison ever since the 5D3 came out. Think a detailed review with side by side comparison shots is in the offing?

I've looked at the 5D3 as being, effectively, a full-frame 7D. Am I far off the mark with that statement?

m.

We've been shooting with both the Canon 7D and the Canon 5D Mark III.

Basically, the Canon 5D Mark III has better low light, cleaner images less grain and noise. The 5D Mark III images are simply outstanding.

Full frame also gives you better wide-angle lens options, if you like wide-angle.

Video is greatly improved. Again better low light and cleaner images. Most all of the moire and aliasing problems have been fixed. You can shoot using all-i frame codec. It should give better results for fast motion and hold up better in post-processing.

Hope this helps - Scott

Thanks for all the info. I am getting the 5DII for above water shooting and wanted to use it below water as well. BUT will "test drive" the 7D. I hadn't really looked at the 7D and the 6D and will go back and do so now. I am more interested in shooting stills below the water. If I do decide to do video, I would probably house a video camera. I'll keep everyone posted on my decision.

Thanks for all the info. After going back to the drawing board so to speak -- I have decided to go with either the 6D or the 7D underwater. I will eventually get the 5D Mark II or III because I do a lot of shooting up top. I have to love that both of my hobbies (scuba and photography) require a lot of gear.

I have a trip planned to the Galapagos next April and want to be proficient with this camera before I go. I have multiple trips planned for the winter months to warmer locals and will shoot locally as long as weather allows here. I am sure I will have a pretty steep learning curve making the jump from a SeaLife camera underwater to a DSLR, but I am really looking forward to the challenge.

Just to let everyone know, I am "test driving" the 60D and 7D at my favorite shop (B&H) next week. I live on LI, so I am making the trip into the city to see which one "feels" better. Then I will order the housing and strobes through my dive ship and spend a lot of time getting to know my new set up. I see a lot of time at my favorite shore dives coming up.

I'm looking forward to seeing what you end up with - and some of your work.

Good Luck!

m.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom