Upgrading Perdix to Teric - Any Regrets?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have both Perdix (wife) and Teric (mine) units, and use each for backups to our Petrel Ext computers on our rebreathers. I do like the Teric ok and find the compass spinning around the bezel to be useful. But I would not consider the Teric to be an Upgrade over the Perdix. The only advantage the Teric has is if you are very frequently diving and want to keep wearing it as a wrist watch. It does nothing else better than the Perdix, and needs more attention with a custom charger.

I'm not sure what the problem with orings on the Perdix is. Unless you drop the battery cap in the dirt, you should need to do nothing but smear a tiny bit of lube on them before sealing it up. Get some good Energizer Lithium cells and you won't need to change the battery more than once or twice a year.

I agree with what "davehicks" says about the Teric. I have both the Perdix and Teric and I was lucky and got hooked up with the Teric via a friend in Canada when they first came out back in mid 2018. I tried so hard for so long to like the Teric but now it literally just sits in the closet.

Maybe its because I am old school and learned on the Petrel so but I love the larger display and the two buttons. Also serval of my friends bought Teric's and ended up selling them to revert back to the Perdix. If you search the forms you will see alot of discussion about this and you will see that alot of people sold there Teric's as well. Don't get me wrong there a great computer but I think alot of us are just stuck in our old ways and like the menu and buttons of the Perdix/Petrel

Also as davehicks has mentions if your a CC divers most units on the market use a Petrel so its very nice when your backup computer has the same menu and buttons in this case the Perdix is the same as your primary.

I have had numerous Shearwater computers (currently, 5). I had a Perdix AI. Then I got a Teric, so I had them both for a while. I dived them both side by side for a while. I liked the Teric so much better that I bought a second Teric and sold the Perdix AI.

I mostly dive a CCR, where I I have a Predator and NERD2. But, any time I dive OC, including tech dives on OC, I use one or both Terics.

The Teric and Perdix AI can be set to both read the same transmitter. So, if you and your hubby currently only have 1 computer each, getting the Teric and keeping the Perdix AI as a backup that either of you could use seems like a good idea, to me.

Also, regarding an earlier post about charging the Teric every day if you're diving a lot, I have not found that to be true. I used mine on a Blackbeard cruise liveaboard last year. We were doing 4 or 5 dives per day. I started the week with a full charge on both my Terics. I only used one of them the whole time. The other was just along as backup, but I didn't dive with it. I charged the one I was using 1 time, mid-week, during that trip. It seemed like it might last the whole week (18 or 19 dives) without charging, but I didn't want to have it die during the middle of the last die, so I went ahead and charged it once, just to make sure. Of note: I was NOT wearing it as a watch between dives. If I had, then I probably would have needed to charge it every 2nd day, to make sure I didn't run out. But, I was on vacation! On a liveaboard. Why would I want to wear a watch in between dives?!? :)

Second disadvantage, I like to wear it somewhat higher on my forearm. The dryglove rings are in the way of operating the left buttons. But the Teric tends to slide to my wrist all the time, the strap is to slippery and not elastic enough. I have to find a solution for that.

Check out this thread: Teric’s with surgical tube bungee

Thank you, I had the N@90 in my hands when I was at Underwater Explorers in Portland last year. I've seen the thread as well. But then it is quiet unusable as a watch (which is the main advantage for me), and rebuilding it for every dive can't be healthy for the screw treads. Maybe using tubing on the strap itself could be a solution.

But the disadvantage only outweighs the advantage by a small margin.

Thank you, I had the N@90 in my hands when I was at Underwater Explorers in Portland last year. I've seen the thread as well. But then it is quiet unusable as a watch (which is the main advantage for me), and rebuilding it for every dive can't be healthy for the screw treads. Maybe using tubing on the strap itself could be a solution.

But the disadvantage only outweighs the advantage by a small margin.
Agreed, it makes a terrible watch strap.

I have a Casio Sport Toughsolar that I've had for a decade if I want to wear a watch. At 65g, it falls into the noise category of travel weight, is more comfortable to wear, and doubles as a bottom timer (to 80fsw so far). And if it gets lost, stolen, broken - it owes me nothing now and can be replaced for 10% of the cost of a Teric.

I actually don’t like my teric at all. I find the menus are just different enough than a regular sw computer to be annoying. Although the display is supposed to appear bigger, I find it hard to read and too cluttered. On top of that sw cloud is the worst thing they’ve come up with and it’s required for the teric. I think you can still use desktop for the Perdix. Either way you could always just use another software.
To me moving to a teric would be a move backwards. My wife and I use ours as backups but find ourselves almost never bringing them on the dive because we dislike them so much. The only reason we haven’t sold them is because then we’d need to get a petrel or perdix for backup

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom