Upgrading PADI Junior Certification Cards

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yup- highest cert + Nitrox is usually what you need- unless you have Trimix

Dan-O

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2

Have you taken a Rescue class yet? If not, then don't even get an "upgraded" card. Just take the Rescue class and get a non-junior card.

Yup- highest cert + Nitrox is usually what you need- unless you have Trimix

PADI doesn't have Trimix for their recreational side.

Tec Trimix 65 is their course but requirement is 18 years so not a Junior option.

I /think/ even for Nitrox there is no special designation for Junior. Age was recently lowered to 12 years for it.

PADI doesn't have Trimix for their recreational side.

Tec Trimix 65 is their course but requirement is 18 years so not a Junior option.

I /think/ even for Nitrox there is no special designation for Junior. Age was recently lowered to 12 years for it.

I thought PADI had started to allow recreational Trimix as a distinctive specialty rating.

Dan-O

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

I would totally present the Jr. cards with pride!
As you complete higher level certifications you will get the age appropriate card anyways.

I thought PADI had started to allow recreational Trimix as a distinctive specialty rating.

I don't see it on PADI page. Source? (I would love to be wrong on this one!)

I don't see it on PADI page. Source? (I would love to be wrong on this one!)

Heard it at BTS - can't say for sure who was discussing. It was NOT a reg cert, it was a "distinctive specialty" - so not sure how many instructors would even have it to offer....

Dan-O

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2

My son's nitrox card says junior because he got it when he was 14. His Aow card says junior as well and says must be accompanied by adult. While he will undoubtedly do rescue which solves that junior card issue, the nitrox card will be priceless when he takes his grand kids diving down the road.

There aren't any restrictions on the nitrox card so it is an absolute money grab by padi.

This is interesting. I am looking at PADI 2014 Instructor Manual. Only certs with Junior option are:

PADI Scuba Diver
Junior Scuba Diver

Open Water Diver
Junior Open Water Diver

Adventure Diver
Junior Adventure Diver

Advanced Open Water Diver
Junior Advanced Open Water Diver

Rescue Diver
Junior Rescue Diver

Master Scuba Diver
Junior Master Scuba Diver

Since 15 y/o was minimal requirement for Nitrox not so long ago the "junior" designation is perplexing here as well because non Junior designations above all have minimal age of 15.

Age was lowered from 15 to 12 in 2012 manual, but even 2014 doesn't show "Junior" designation for it.

This is interesting. I am looking at PADI 2014 Instructor Manual. Only certs with Junior option are:

PADI Scuba Diver
Junior Scuba Diver

Open Water Diver
Junior Open Water Diver

Adventure Diver
Junior Adventure Diver

Advanced Open Water Diver
Junior Advanced Open Water Diver

Rescue Diver
Junior Rescue Diver

Master Scuba Diver
Junior Master Scuba Diver

Since 15 y/o was minimal requirement for Nitrox not so long ago the "junior" designation is perplexing here as well because non Junior designations above all have minimal age of 15.

Age was lowered from 15 to 12 in 2012 manual, but even 2014 doesn't show "Junior" designation for it.

just a guess i looked online at the website -- yes min is 12yrs -- due to the nature of nitrox and no required dives and the wide-spread avail of nitrox, it wasn't worth giving a JR designation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom