Upgrading a DS125 to a 160?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WOODMAN

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have a pair of Ikelite DS 125 strobes that I use with my G10 and Ikelite housing, and I have been using a small flashlight attached to the frame as a focus/spotting light for night photography, but this tends to leave a washed out spot in the image where the light beam hits. I thought about using a smaller flashlight, but would prefer it if the focus light turned off during the shot. Didn't see how to make this happen, but now I read about sending the strobe back to Ikelite for an upgrade to DS160, which includes more power (always nice..) and an integral LED focus beam? Hmmm. Anyone know anything about this, and what it costs and is it worth it? I suppose I could just go ask Ikelite, but I thought I would shake the tree with you guys first and see what fell out. Many thanks for any help you can give me. Woody

Woodman,

Off Ikelite site:

Can I upgrade my DS125 to DS160 or DS161?
Can I upgrade my DS160 to DS161?Yes!
Substrobe DS125 Upgrade to DS160: $ 300 - 475*
Substrobe DS125 Upgrade to DS161: $ 450 - 625*

These upgrades result in increased power of 160 watt-sec (from 110 watt-sec), additional manual power settings and replacement of halogen modeling light with LED modeling (DS160) or video (DS161) lite. DS160 and DS161 Substrobes are compatible with all current Ikelite TTL systems including Nikonos.
Substrobe DS160 Upgrade to DS161: $ 200*

This upgrade results in replacement of the LED modeling light with a 500 lumen LED video light and updating of circuitry.
* Freight charges will be added to the total cost of the repair. Upgrade prices are based on a fully working Substrobe with no signs of abuse, water damage or other non-warranty issues. Non-working and/or damaged Substrobes will result in increased cost to upgrade. We will provide an exact estimate for the upgrade after evaluating the Substrobe. We are not able to provide a more precise estimates over phone or email even if provided the Substrobe's serial number.

Repair and/or replacement of the strobe's battery pack is not includd in the above upgrade costs. The battery pack is not required to perform the upgrade but will be checked if returned. Please also refer to above section on battery pack locking mechanisms for important update information. The Service FAQcontains complete information on returning products for service or repair.

I am not sure that the 161 turns off when the flash fires, but even with the 125 you should not be seeing much effect from a focus light. One issue with using the strobes as focus lights is that in many cases you really don't want the strobes pointing directly at your subject but rather you want to use the edge of the strobe beam for your lighting. I believe that most folks use dedicated focus lights, you can buy some that turn off during the flash (Big Blue for example) but I have never really noticed the focus light in my pics using a Sola light for focus and a wide variety of strobes.
Bill

Well, what do you know- I had never heard of the Big Blue focus lights that turn off briefly when they detect a flash. It looks like the BB AL 1x5 MAFO light might just be the ticket, and at $90 (plus adapting clamps and such) this is one whale of a lot cheaper than upgrading my trusty DS125 strobes. All I really wanted was a little focus/modeling light that turned off when the flash fired, and presto- here it is! I knew that if there was an answer to my problem, that someone here would provide it for me. Many thanks for your help! Woody

Woodman,

Both the Ikelite DS160 and 161 "quench" the LEDS when fired.

bvanant is also correct that these days many time you do not aim your primary, secondary or whatever flash right AT the subject doing more of an "edge" lighting.

Any of the accessory modeling lights from 400 - 1200 lumens likely has a broader wide soft beam that shouldn't show in your flash lit photo anyway. Ikelite's new VEGA light coming soon at 2000 lumens will be that way.....

In dim light or night diving they really help your camera "see" and lock AF faster.

I think with what you've described a modeling light would serve you better than updating your flashes.

YMMV :)

David Haas
www.haasimages.com

Attachments

• IMG_8865.jpg
    IMG_8865.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_7871.jpg
    IMG_7871.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_2889.jpg
    IMG_2889.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_7923.jpg
    IMG_7923.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_7575.jpg
    IMG_7575.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 63
Another advantage of using a dedicated focus light, is that you can use red rather than white light. Creatures seem to react less to red, esp. mandarinfish. Get one with a wide beam. I use my focus light as my primary dive light at night.

I just had Ikelite perform this very upgrade. I'm super happy with the 160 I now have. The LED light is brighter, the new design on the diffuser means it's actually more useful (there is now a hole in the middle of the diffuser that the LED shines through so the diffuser doesn't diffuse the focusing light). The focus light does quench when you shoot the image, and being brighter it's useful as a flashlight to look under overhangs etc...

It took several weeks to do as they told me they ran a bunch of tests on my battery to make sure it was still good as well, it was so my conversion was near the lower end of the cost. Really great of them to offer the upgrade service, and now that I'm shopping to replace the DS51 I use for a second light I'll be going to another DS-160 or 161 because their service has been awesome.

I just bought two new 160's with the Li-Ion battery packs, quite an upgrade from my old SS 200's. They are much smaller and lighter and more neutral in the water than the 200's, with less drag in current. The new LED focusing light is great as well, and I love that it squelches during exposure, in spite of me never directly aiming both lights right at my subject. Ikelite, has definitely been keeping up with Inon I think here...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom