Upgrade my MK2...but to what?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

archman:
Ha ha, I've been pondering the exact same question lately. I also have a well-used Mk2-R190 combo that has performed very well.

My interest in a new reg set comprises only two criteria.
1. smaller second stage
2. 1st stage on a swivel

I've been eyeing the ScubaPro Mk25. I'm fuzzy on second stages. I've even pondered retaining my R190... I wonder if the techies would even let me do that. I really like the rugged outer case on the R190. I'm dropping it constantly on the ground.

I'd suggest considering a D300, D350, or D400 primary second stage with your R190 as backup.

For first stage with a swivel, as you can see MK18 models can be had inexpensively as they are discontinued - they were discontinued before the MK16 here in the USA anyway. Takes the same rebuild kit as the Mk16.

Of course, you could always look at a MK10, MK15, MK20 or MK25 for a piston design with swivel for the first stage. All but the MK25 are discontinued but have rebuild kits and support from Scubapro currently.

mattboy:
Regarding the 2nd stage for a MK10, I'd really suggest finding either the older style G250 with the metal barrel, or the B/A metal case. Then you can them serviced and tuned together, and you'll have a reg that alot of old timers would say rivals the performance of anything currently on the market. The metal barrel and/or metal case really helps with dry mouth; that one I know from experience, and from many posts on the subject, there's a big improvement in cold water reliability due to the heat transfer properties of the metal.
I agree completely. The nice thing about buying an older Scubapro Adjustable or Balanced Adjustable is that you can get either one upgraded to use the current G250/S600 poppet and G250 balance chamber and the result is a small sized reg that offers performance as good as either the G250 or S600 in a much more rugged metal case that virtually eliminates dry mouth.

Cost for the upgrade is the cost of an annual service kit (about $10-15) plus a $1.00 spring.

I own a couple of ATX 200's , a MK 25/s550 and a MK10/G200B
the MK10/g200 is for some reasone the best breathing one I have...go figure

I was doing an annual service on a pair of Aqualung Ledgend regulators yesterday and it struck me how much of the second stage was essentially a Scubapro design.

It uses a balanced poppet that is a hydrid of the old Scubapro poppet design incorporating the "new" one piece stem design and a replaceable seat. It also uses a metal air barrel and lever that would look very at home in the older metal air barrelled G250. It also has some nifty and new disassembly features compared to a G250 or S600.

In short, Aqualung has a real winner of a second stage that incorporates a poppet that offers probably 90% of the performance of Scuabpro's new poppet and does it in a metal air barrel with excellent heat transfer and dry mouth traits - basically just like the Balanced Adjustable or the older G250's.

It reinforced my opinion that in some cases, SP has discontinued proven designs in cases where the new designs still leave a lot to be desired. It also made it clear that other companies are beating them over the head with their own discontinued technology.

Back
Top Bottom