updating equipment?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rufus5

Reaction score
I was wondering when people are considering updating their equipment. Mine is about 10 years old. It is regularly cleaned and serviced and works very well. I just was thinking what equipment advances I am missing out on. I asked the guy that services my stuff this and he said that its only really advisable if its not serviceable ususally 30years old stuff. Or that large parts especially metal parts are out of service(pistons etc...) Any thoughts...

rufus5:
I was wondering when people are considering updating their equipment. Mine is about 10 years old. It is regularly cleaned and serviced and works very well. I just was thinking what equipment advances I am missing out on. I asked the guy that services my stuff this and he said that its only really advisable if its not serviceable ususally 30years old stuff. Or that large parts especially metal parts are out of service(pistons etc...) Any thoughts...

Depends on what your stuff is... and what you might be buying. If you have an old sherwood, and are thinking of buying a new Atomic B2... Yea... you'll notice. but if you have some good older gear, that is tuned up good and you like it... I'd stick with the old expression... If it ain't broke....

I have purchased a new set every year and sell the other to friends, kinda helping add to the diving buddy pool.

skeet:
I have purchased a new set every year and sell the other to friends, kinda helping add to the diving buddy pool.

Yea, I was answering as a frugal diver... Now as a dive shop owner.... go with what skeet says! He's right! :eyebrow:

I change scuba equipment about every 20 years or so. I'm using a Scubapro MK10 that's about 15 years old (have about 200 dives on it) without any major problem and as long as I can get parts and service will keep it for another 15 years if lucky. Have gone thru 3 BC's because I'm rough on them (plus my waist line keeps expanding). Still have my original Scubapro Jet Fins from 1968 ..... take care of them by putting silcone spray on them after each dive trip to take care of the rubber.

undefined
scubapro50:
I change scuba equipment about every 20 years or so. I'm using a Scubapro MK10 that's about 15 years old (have about 200 dives on it) without any major problem and as long as I can get parts and service will keep it for another 15 years if lucky. Have gone thru 3 BC's because I'm rough on them (plus my waist line keeps expanding). Still have my original Scubapro Jet Fins from 1968 ..... take care of them by putting silcone spray on them after each dive trip to take care of the rubber.
Thanks for the advice.. I also have MK10 with G250 second stage. It has served me very well. I have met lots of people that have put down scuba pro stuff but they don't take care of any thing they own so..... Mine is about 10 years old too....

rufus5:

Agree with what others have said.
In addition change when you want a change: Bored with current setup. Sometimes newer is not better. Make sure you get something nice and dependable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom