Update on Sandals Montego Bay (long)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kcDiver

Reaction score
Well, I'm back from Sandals Montego Bay. I won't waste time here on my overall impressions of the resort (let's just say our second room was MUCH better then our first) but will give a quick rundown of the diving for those interested.

We arrived on 7/4 and I ran down to the watersports desk to sign up for all the diving they'd allow me to do. Since I'd been diving in the past 30 days I didn't have to do a checkout (remove and replace equipment in the pool, I think). My first dive would be the afternoon dive on 7/5. I'm not sure why I couldn't dive the morning dive but that's another story...

That night we had a thunderstorm (only bad weather the whole week!). I was excited about blowing bubbles and enjoyed the sound of the rain pummeling the side of the building as I drifted off to sleep.

I walked over to the dive boat around 1:50pm. The instructors were setting up the tanks, BC's, and regs for the afternoon dive. I got on the boat and setup my gear. I only saw one other diver bring his own BC the whole week. Sandals uses Cressi-Sub regs and BC's and they looked to be mechanically sound. Some looked brand new while others were quite "broken in".

On the quick ride out to the dive site I got the whole scoop on diving at Sandals:

1. All dives are guided by instructors.
2. Everyone begins their ascent when the first one hits 1000psi.
3. Only two dives per day for certified divers (9am and 2pm).
4. Resort Course and OW students outnumber certified divers two or three to one.
5. Sign up for dives 24 hours in advance.

In total I only made 7 dives in 6 days (I was there for a wedding, not diving). The quality of the dives varied.

The first dive was a quick (25 min) one to 40'. Vis was pretty poor, maybe from the rain the night before. I was a little nervous (first saltwater dive) so I used my air as fast as the students and didn't mind only being down a short time. Nice dive through some large passageways between coral.

The second was the deepest I'd make all week. 90' for 25 minutes plus a 5 minute stop at 15'. This was my first wall dive. It was awesome. I could have stayed down there forever (well, not according to the dive tables but you know what I mean). Lots of small fish but nothing big.

The next four dives were very nice but nothing spectacular. Some coral, a few walls, the odd sea cucumber or two, and many schools of small fish. Only saw one stingray to this point. Oh yeah, and a remora followed me around for almost a half hour, trying to attach itself to my tank.

The last dive of the week would prove to be the most interesting. English (one of the instructors), myself, and two AOW students went out on 7/10 for a morning dive. The two students had not dived since they finished their OW class and were a little nervous. Upon reaching the dive site I swam to the front of the boat and did a free decent to 45' where I was going to wait for English and the two students to decend using the mooring line for control. I decended and found a little section of reef to explore. I could still see the line so it was the perfect place to wait. I knew this would be a great dive as soon as I reached the reef, the first thing I saw was a barracuda hovering motionless, staring at me. Then, I saw a beautiful stingray hiding in the sand. Fifteen minutes went by before I saw the three decending the line. We then began our planned dive. The plan was to make this one a drift dive. A large ship was within sight and we were going to drift under it and surface on the other side. The ship was being used by commercial divers to move some cable off the reef for Cable+Wireless. We drifted for 20 minutes or so, exploring the reef and finally reached the cables. Turning towards the ship, we saw a diver working. It was really interesting to see this guy, no fins and loaded with equipment working. He seemed to work so fast, moving between the cable and his basket of equipment. And I can't even estimate how large the lift bag he was using was. He saw us and motioned for us to "move along". We smiled and waved and then were on our way. By this point, 45 minutes had passed and I was at 800psi. A quick 5 minute stop and we surfaced on the other side of the ship. Finning our way towards the boat, I couldn't help be just a little bit jealous of that diver and the time he spends on the reef. I just hope he has time to appreciate his surroundings.

Overall, I have to say the diving was just what I heard it would be, more coral then fish and nice but not exceptional. Being my first saltwater dive experience I had a great time and can't wait to get back to the Caribbean.

The instructors were very friendly and knowledgeable. They gave good pre-dive briefings and always did a roll call whenever there were four or more divers on the boat.

If you find yourself at Sandals, tell Terminator, English, Slim, Fast Car, Robert, and the rest of the dive crew I said hi!

kcDiver

Cool report and thanks for sharing with us.

At least that remora was going for your tank and not your mask or ..ahem.. other areas.

Thanks for the report KC....you made it sound easy for a 1st saltwater dive.

The reason they wouldn't let you dive on the first morning dive is because the morning dives are the deeper dives and they want to see your abilities on a shallower dive first. This was what I was told at Sandals Negril. The only exception is that they will allow instructors to dive the morning dive first.

That's what I thought but they waived the checkout thing after reviewing my log book. I guess I interperted that incorrectly to mean I was OK to dive the next morning.

Didn't really matter, as it gave me a chance to have a nice breakfast with my wife.

A few things I didn't add to my original message:

1. Jellyfish stings hurt (got stung across the back of both legs while swimming with my wife and a friend)

2. My wife, who had to be pushed off the snorkeling boat the first day, now wants to try scuba

3. I was really proud when one of the instructors pointed to me after one dive and told the OW students that one day they'd be able to "dive like him" if they continued to work on their skills (I'm AOW but have only 20 dives logged)

4. I was so fired up about diving again when I got home that I signed up for the Rescue diver class

kcDiver

My fiance and I just dove at Sandals Montego Bay and it was pretty good. We are both AOW, almost Rescue and Master divers. This was our first salt water diving (we do a LOT of freshwater diving!), and we were quite impressed with the vis. "Fast Car" was our DM on every dive, and he was quite humerous and very helpful!

If you are looking for some easy diving and some nice coral and fish, Montego Bay is a great starting ground.

WE had a problem with a large remora in the Bahamas. It went from person to person trying to attach itself. It actually tried to get onto the dive platform when everyone exited the water.

Any recent trips to this Sandals? The wife and I are thinking about going for labor day. Some questions:
(1) Do they do two tank dives? Just one in the morning and one in the afternoon?
(2) Does the boat pick you up right from the hotel?
(3) Do you think the free scuba is just as good as scuba you would pay for through an operator? I.e. same trips, boat is as nice, same service?

I'm just trying to figure out whether the all-inclusive scuba is as nice as what you might pay for... Thanks!

ClassAction:
Any recent trips to this Sandals? The wife and I are thinking about going for labor day. Some questions:
(1) Do they do two tank dives? Just one in the morning and one in the afternoon?
(2) Does the boat pick you up right from the hotel?
(3) Do you think the free scuba is just as good as scuba you would pay for through an operator? I.e. same trips, boat is as nice, same service?

I'm just trying to figure out whether the all-inclusive scuba is as nice as what you might pay for... Thanks!

We got certified at Sandals MoBay May of 2003; Terminator was our instructor the whole way. We only have 12 or so dives under our weight belts, but I would not say I noticed an appreciable difference between the included dives there and ones we have paid for in Mexico, Grand Cayman & Belize (different species excepted, of course.) On our last day, he took us on a really spectacular wall dive with some more experienced divers and just had us stay higher than them since we were newly certified.

You just walk out through the pool area to the beach, stop at the gear shack for anything you might need (wetsuits, etc.) and continue down to the water where the boats are tied up! I don't remember if they did 2 tank dives or not...

We are considering going to Sandals for our 5th anniversary next August, and are torn between going back to MoBay to dive with Termi & the rest and trying out another Sandals to explore more of the Caribbean.

If you run into Terminator, tell him Christine & Dave from Seattle said Hi!

Sandals doesn't offer 2 tank dives or night dives... however, they dive the same sites as independent operators... and they have pretty decent boats.

Sandals discontinued using Cressi in rental last year in favor of Scuba Pro. I guess it'll take another year or so until all the properties are 100% Scuba Pro.

MoBay has a good dive staff, but Jamaica is not typically spectacular for stuff to see... Sandals also owns the Beaches group of resorts... and the property with the most detail to diving is Beaches Turks & Caicos. If you're lookign to try another Sandals resort... Beaches Turks is family (kids are allowed), and the diving is headed by Reggie Vickers (formerly of Sandals Dunns River). Turks woudl be worth checking out. Dive Provo also has a shop near by incase 2 dives per day isn't enough for your liking.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom