Upcoming Trip Middle/Lower Keys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I am staying at Big Pine Key in early June, and am looking for recommendations of dive charters in the area. Everyone seems to say dive Key Largo area, but I already made all my reservations. Should I dive back to KL or are there any recommendations. We are all fairly new divers so nothing deep. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Dan Blue

Plus if there are any non-diving must see please tell me.......

I think Conch Republic Divers is not too far and I hear good things about them. Most all the dives in Pennikamp (sp?) park are relatively easy dives. Molassas, Pickles, reefs. City of Washington wreck all good dives for new divers. Have fun!

BlueBadger:
I am staying at Big Pine Key in early June, and am looking for recommendations of dive charters in the area. Everyone seems to say dive Key Largo area, but I already made all my reservations. Should I dive back to KL or are there any recommendations. We are all fairly new divers so nothing deep. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Dan Blue

I've heard of some good wreck dives off Big Pine Key, such as the Adolphus Busch. I'm sure you'll be happy diving in that area. And I'm sure you'll want to come back and dive more of The Keys later.

As far as non-diving, there's pretty much just fishing and drinking. You have to go to Key West to find something else to do. I think you'll be about an hour away from Key West and Key Largo.

Have fun!

If you're staying in Big Pine there are several operators in that area and you're near Looe Key Marine Sanctuary. Try a google search in the Big Pine/Marathon area and I think you'll find quite a few hits. I've heard good things about Wreckreation charters in Big Pine. Rachel is the owner/operator and should be able to set you up with the type of diving you'd like. If you do travel to Islamorada, Tavernier or Key Largo you will have at least an hours drive barring no accidents on US 1. There is IMO more variety in the Upper Keys but if you haven't been to the Keys and you're already staying in the Lower Keys you should be able to find what you're looking for. Save the Upper Keys for the next trip. Good diving!
Bob

I was in the keys a few weeks ago but didn't get to the lower keys except for an afternoon drive to Key West. A book I picked up for the trip shows Big Pine Key about 30 miles from Key West, Big Pine is considered one of the lower keys. Key Largo has the biggest concentration of dive sites, but there are a few sites near Big Pine, listed as follows:

***Newfound Harbor***, .5 miles offshore from Newfound Harbor Key, 15' max depth
***Looe Key (East End)***, 4.5 miles from Newfound Harbor Keys, 35' max depth
***Looe Key (West End)***, 4.5 miles from Newfound Harbor Keys, 35' max dedpth
***Looe Key (Deep)***, 4.5 miles from Newfound Harbor Keys, 40' - 80' depth
***Adolphus Busch Sr.***, 3.5 miles off Looe Key, 50' - 105' depth
***Western Sambo***, 4.5 miles south of Boca Chica Key, 15' to 45' depth.

I didn't dive any of these sites myself, stayed in the Key Largo area, but it looks like you will have some variety near by.

As far as charters, you might want to see if there are any that depart near the place you are staying. In Key Largo I could see the dive boat from our hotel room and I carried my gear by hand from the room to the boat.

Hope this helps....

BlueBadger:

I'm diving with Rachel <rachel@wreckreationcharters.com> next week. She's on the board (Biscuit7, or some such thing). She's based in, I believe, Ramrod Key, which is close to you, and gets very good reviews from folks who know a lot more than I do.

BlueBadger:
I'm emailing back and forth with Rachel right now...Hopefully well dive with Her....

You might buy "The Florida Keys, A History and Guide" by Joy Williams. It's a nearly key-by-key review, and is informative, wonderfully well-written and humorous., and has been the most useful guidebook that I've seen.

I've been a regular Big Pine visitor for several years.

Looe Key reef is one of the Key's best, its got lots of variety of corals, and fish, less diver pressure than the Key Largo reefs. Don't miss it. You'll never get tired of that one. Its at most 30' so you're going to have a lot of bottom time to look around.

The Adolphus Busch is considered an advanced dive. Did it last summer before hurricanes and it was super. But sometimes the currents can rip. The wheelhouse is around 80' The deck lower.

Also, Looe Key Resort and dive center has been around a long time and also offers regular trips to Looe and the A. Busch.

I think you'll be happy with Big Pine diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom