Upcoming OW Class at DD?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey guys, thought I'd put in an update.

So we've had 2 pool sessions so far and 3 classroom sessions. All is going well, evidently our class has been making it pretty easy on Linda (she's teaching the pool sessions, Dallas is doing the classroom stuff). We have 4 of us in the class, we originally started with another couple of people, but they dropped out for some reason (their loss :p).

It's interesting being properly weighted (I'm only wearing 6lbs in a 2mm shorty), I'm a bit of a stone and just sink naturally. We've done plenty of OOA, air sharing, CESA drills, mask clearing and retrieval drills (with buddy assistance), worked on controlling our buoyancy (hovering for a time without touching the bottom, haven't quite managed without finning a tiny bit, but pretty close). Also did simulated safety stop on a rope.

Only thing I had to remember was to exhale through my nose when putting my mask back on after it coming off completely, otherwise I got a nose full of water :p Oddly enough, I was even more comfortable swimming with no mask on (eyes closed, since I have contacts) than I was when wearing a mask. Maybe it allowed me to shut out that added extra stimulus and really focus on everything else? Either way, it was cool.

So apparently, she feels our abilities are strong enough that we're actually getting to do our checkout dives this weekend (well, I am, the others are going next weekend). So heading out into Lake Erie on Saturday. This should be great! :-D Maybe I'll try and join them next weekend too, yay for more dives!!!

Still more class and pool sessions after the checkout dives, but getting them done before it gets too chilly out there.

Glad to hear that it's going well and you're enjoying it!!

Enjoy your checkout dives!!

Saturday while you're diving, I'll be Flying to Grand Bahama Island!! :D

Tell Dallas & Linda I said HI!! I'll see them when I get back.:crafty:

RowingMunkeyCU ,

So how did the dives go today??
they were a ton of fun! we only were able to go to Windmill Quarry since it was pretty windy out, but it was still a good time. Water was fairly warm at 68F (and actually ended up being warmer in the water than on land from the wind), vis at 10'-15'. Toodled around a bit, saw some fish and the small boat that was sunk in there, did a little u/w navigation.

Didn't touch the bottom once, started zooming toward the surface once (due to buoyancy) when I was going up over a hill, but wasn't in the proper positioning to vent gas from the b/c (my tail end was up, and the rear vent didn't want to vent) but managed to swim it down.

It was interesting trying to get weighted properly in the full 6.5mm wetsuit, started at 18lbs. Dallas says "let's check your weighting, vent your bc", and it's already empty. Lol. So bumped it up to 22lbs, and that took care of things pretty well. By the third dive, I got a good feel for the buoyancy changes due to wetsuit compression and was able to stay neutral for nearly the entire dive getting nice and close to the bottom, within a foot to a foot and a half watching fishies, using a modified frog kick (or whatever it's called) and no silting for me. Also interesting that the kid who was also certifying with me was a few feet above me, also with decent buoyancy control, was wearing splits, and in proper body position, but using a flutter kick, and was silting the bottom from above and to the side of me. Yay for me wearing jetfins.

Anyway, I couldn't make the dives today to prior commitments, but I'm probably going up to Alexandria Bay (Thousand Islands) next Sunday for the rest of the dives.

How goes the wonderfully warm waters of the Bahamas?

Finished my checkout dives on Sunday up in Alexandria Bay on the Islander wreck. It was pretty sweet, good vis at 20'-30', 57F in the water. Lots of sunshine, pretty warm out. Couldn't have asked for a more beautiful day.

My buoyancy sucked on the first dive, I was nearly glued to the bottom :p But on the upside, I only used 1000psi (so 2000psi left in the tank) on that dive, which was for 20 minutes, and a max depth of 58'. The other 2 guys I was with were down to 1200psi from 3000psi and we were all on AL80s. Second and third dives my buoyancy was pretty darn good. Worked on keeping level, no more butt towards the surface. Could've had something to do with re-distributing my weights a little bit. Made for dumping air quite a bit easier.

I was annoyed with my mask though on the third dive, kept flooding on me. Maybe because I was getting chilled, squinted my eyes a bit or something. Don't think I had any hair, or my hood under it, but couldn't tell too well from the thick gloves.

Someone setup some square pvc hoops for buoyancy practice. Got to swim through, don't think I touched them at all (I probably would've felt them bump, right?). Also a cool little underwater 'picnic' area setup there too, lawn chairs, and a table.

Good dives though. Probably going out next Sunday for the Pumpkin Carving drift dive. Yay for diving! :)

Congrats on completing your Checkout dives!! :D
Thanks Rick! :)

I thought I'd give an update on the latest. Didn't end up going on the Pumpkin Dive :( I was just too exhausted from traveling constantly over the past several weeks. Finished the written exam and am officially certified!!! :rocker:

I'm signed up for Nitrox, but probably going to have to wait until January to take it (I was finishing my CPR/AED/First Aid class during the last one, and the g/f would probably kill me if I missed her birthday for the next one :e18:)

Congrats on becoming a diver! Hope to see you out in the water next spring when things warm up a little. :14:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom