Upcoming Open Water Dives, and Concerns with Mask Clearing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Two issues:
First. New divers tend to use way too much air to clear their masks. You only need a small puff or two to completely clear all the water from your mask. In addition, you don't need to press the top all that hard either, just holdit in place. In addition, if you want your mask to feel tighter just push it closer to your face, don't suck out the air but I'd suggest you not do that. You should not even feel a comfortable fitting mask on your face.

Second. Learning to fight the urge to panic takes time and practise. Remember, you can cough in your regulator with out issue, just try to inhale slowly afterwords.

Lastly, enjoy diving Catalina. It is one of the best places you will ever dive.

Your problem reminds me of a young lady who posted a similar problem in 2000. Here's my answer to her. If you work on it and practice it, it will help you become so comfortable with mask clearing and no mask breathing that you won't give it another thought, it'll be second nature.

Wow...
I just read through that old thread and you really gave some solid advice!:clapping:

I am going through certification right now and went to the pool to do the diving skills. Everything was simple except the taking the mask off with the regulator in mouth. Like all the other postings regarding this, I also had the feeling of drowning, which put me through a panic. I have been a swimmer all my life and never would have guessed I'd be that guy. I now think about it all the time since the pool incident. I was completely embarrassed and felt like I let myself down and the instructor. He patiently kept coming back to me and fill my mask at different levels and clear the mask. It wasn't an issue until the water filled up to my eyes and then the panic set in. I would clear my mask and then immediately had the heavy breathing for a few minutes after like my throat had closed up on me (Panic state). I was told to snorkel in the pool without a mask to get used to having water covering my face while still breathing through the snorkel. I have 2 weeks before I get into the Ocean and and practice my skills and it's killing me to think I might have to rip off my mask and clear it after returning it to my face. I don't have much time to do the pool thing because of work and wanted to know what kinds of techniques I can practice so I can become comfortable. I want this so bad, and I feel I will be scuba diving at least once every 2 months.

HELP, I need to overcome this stressful situation.

Hi Ash,

First of all I'm with your wife. Your options of recovery from a bad situation are a lot better underwater.

I think you have figured out that sucking the mask in tight is not the way to go. A well fit mask need no such attention.

Can the regulator handle a coughing fit. Probably and if not you'll certainly get what you need.

Should this whole thing spook you? No, I don't think so. You were in a training situation and got into a stressed situation. You ended up experiencing what I'll call panic and went to the top. That gives you a perspective that many don't get until much later if ever. Turn it into a learning experience.

If the incident repeated tomorrow at 60 feet I'm quite certain you would react differently. You would know the consequences of bolting to the surface are much higher. You would have a split second more of recognition of your state of mind and better control things. These are times when having your buddy by your side can make a big difference. A good buddy will make sure your buoyancy does not get out of control while you are distracted and can even manage your ascent of you are struggling with a bought of coughing. Talking this through with your wife is a good thing. What more could she have done to steady you? The paragraph would not be complete without pointing out that bouts of coughing under water are very rare mishaps. As long as you have air to breath anything else is a mere inconvenience.

Do some research on the "Panic Cycle" if it was not part of your course. It's an excellent thing to be formally aware of.

Remember that most problems are best resolved on the bottom.

Good luck in Catalina, have a great time and remember to both come back with a full report.

Pete

Hey spectrum,

That is extreemly good information and calms my nerves, thanks for the post :lotsalove:

You mentioned not having time to get more comfortable in the pool.... Fill the bathtub and grab your snorkel!

I had zero issues doing my open water, but just about panicked when I went to work on my skills after about 18 months out of the water. I pulled my mask off, confident as can be, then the water hit my face. I was shocked that I reacted like that, but eventually got back in the groove. I spent a lot of time without a mask at all. It forces you to get used to the sensation, and learn to take all breaths through your mouth.

You will have zero problems w/ your reg in a pool - don't worry about this at all - folks have coughed, spit, vomited, etc and the reg was fine (if a little gross after the vomiting..... thats a reason for a safe 2nd - oh, wait, we have a thread on this board saying they are not necessary - here is one reason I think they are).

As to the mask clearing problem - are you fully looking up and gently breathing out? You may think you are, but go through it slowly - the physics of pressure as you tilt your head and breath out will almost always do the job for you.

Try it again, SLOWLY from the top - I will bet it works perfectly for you.

Good Luck - and remember, you can get away from the tables via a computer, but mask clearing is one of those skills you just gotta master!

One more tidbit for you - Don't attempt to suck the mask tight with your nose :wink:

Really, when you are under water, there is plenty of pressure holding the mask to your face. There is no need to use that method to snug it up. If you really feel the need to do this, simply press the mask to your face a little, same effect - and the water will definitely hold it in place. Don't worry - you will do great!

Yes, I agree with Jridg and all the other divers who have made, mor or less, the same comment.

In my case one thing that perhaps helped me was that when I swim I always exhale a certain amount of air underwater so when I had to clear my mask during my OW class inhaling with my nose inside the mask was the last thing in my mind.

Keep practicing, relax and HAPPY SAVE DIVING! :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom