UP Diving Recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jasondbaker

Reaction score
I'm staying in Green Bay this weekend and plan to drive up to Munising or Whitefish Point for some diving. Does anyone recommend any charters in those areas? How about camping recommendations? Thanks

jasondbaker:
I'm staying in Green Bay this weekend and plan to drive up to Munising or Whitefish Point for some diving. Does anyone recommend any charters in those areas? How about camping recommendations? Thanks
At Whitefish, I hear that you may be able to hook up with Abyss Charters, but I am not sure. As for Munising, talk to Capt. Pete Linquist. He runs the glass bottom boat tours but is a diver and does dive charters as well. Apparently his ex-wife, Linda runs Northstar Charters and does very well by her customers, too. I have dove with Pete though and he treated me right. From what I hear, you may want to consider Whitefish over Munising. The best wreck in Munising would be the Smith Moore and that is collecting a great deal of sand. I've never dove Whitefish but I hear that the wrecks are nicer.

One point, Munising is perfect for a beginning wreck diver. The deepest wreck there (the Smith Moore) is about 85 or 90 ft. The water is relatively warm as compared to the rest of Lake Superior as well. But, for better wreck diving overall, I would strongly consider Whitefish Point. I am hoping to get up there this season.

Jason,

I've chartered with both Pete Lindquist and his ex-wife Linda. Both run very nice charters so I'd go with price / availability. There are several wrecks to visit. A really cool one is the Burmuda which is the one the glass bottom boat tours - so if you have any non-divers they would like that. The pictured rock cruises are wonderful as well.

Whitefish has fabulous diving. As Brian wrote, much of the diving here is more advanced. Although there are several wrecks in the beginner to intermediate range. & a great deal of tech diving as well. Several operators charter out of Whitefish but usually tow their boats up their for specific charters. I know SCUBA North in Traverse City, MI kept one of their boats up their for a few years and most likely have this year as well. Jack Spencer owns SCUBA North and puts together a great charter.

Another option would be to charter a dive to The Mesquite out of Copper Harbor. It's the Coast Guard cutter that was accidentally grounded in the early 90's and later towed and sunk for divers. I'm not sure if any operators are there permanately. I'd ask one of the Munising operations about it.

Do have fun! And good luck. If you talk to Jack - say 'hi' for me.

Paula

Paradise/Whitefish Point

Locally, the only charter I know of is run by Mike Cook who can be reached at Paradise Foods, the local grocery store that he and his wife run - sorry, I can't find his number right now but you can PM me if you can't find him and I'll get it for you. He's got a primitive but solid boat (with the greatest ladder in the world), he knows the area well and is respectful of the intemperate nature of Lake Superior. Nice guy, too.

Dan at Abyss Dive Charters has been known to move one of his boats up there from the Straits. Another nice guy with a couple of decent boats, although I've never been to Whitefish with him.

If you don't have a charter boat booked already for Whitefish, you'll have a hard time finding a local to take you out.There's no shop in the area, and its quite remote. Abyss isn't running any charters in Whitefish until mid-July. ScubaNorth out of TC runs there boat up here quite often, so you may want to check with them. Good luck - there's some of the best wrecks in the world in the deep waters at Whitefish!

SS

Thanks for all the feedback. I'm having a heck of a time finding available charters. I figured with all the great diving these charters would be running every day. Now I'm starting to look at airfare. B.C. looks nice. :wink:

Jason,

What about heading South? Len Der charters runs a great charter out of Milwaukee. Or there's always Door County.

Paula

There's no need for you to drive all the way to the Eastern UP to dive, there's lots of excellent diving between Manitowoc and the tip of Door Penninsula.

Brendon Baillod has some info about diving in Wisconsin - including the area you're in.

Neptune's Nimrods is a dive club located in Sturgeon Bay, not far from Green Bay. They do some real diving and have stuff on their site that might help you find not only a charter, but a buddy.

Shipwreck Adventures is a technically oriented charter operating out of Two Rivers (just North of Manitowoc) that runs out to some great wrecks in the area. Greg is vacationing in Mackinac this week but should be back soonish, if you're going to be in Green Bay past this coming weekend.

Diving in the Whitefish area is kind of expeditionary. It's truly great diving but the remote location, the short season, the deep wrecks, the cold water, and the tempermental nature of the lake all conspire to limit the infrastructure. It's a little hard putting a trip up there together but well worth the advance work in overcoming the logistics.

Good luck!

Jason,

If you do consider getting up into the northern U.P. the Mesquite and Langham are worth the trip. Contact Jake at www.asuperiordive.com (based in Copper Harbor), he can hook you up with a ride out to the wrecks (if any are available).

Great feedback. I've come to the right place. :) I really enjoyed the dive operations in Door County and Milwaukee in the past. I was hoping to try something new. I checked with Greg at Shipwreck Adventures last week but he won't get back from Mackinac until late next week.

The big challenge is that I want to dive on weekdays. But many of these charters only operate during weekends. Plus I'm alone. I can't put 3-5 other divers on the boat. Oh well. I'll make it happen at some point.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom