Unsure about night diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's been a long time since I dove at night and even then, only a couple. Next month: Farnsworth Banks at night. That'll be a great time!! Glad you persisted. I was fortunate that my first couple were simple so I have never had a concern with night dives.

My BEST single moment diving thus far occurred on one of those night dives. There were about 6 of us at Shaw's Cove (here in So Cal). We did a surface swim out and it was very dark, just a few house lights on at top of cliff. For some reason we all started singing the theme music from the Discovery Channel commercial while finning out. 5-6 divers singing "Boom-deeah, boom-deeah" in pitch black water was awesome. I'll never forget that part of that dive.

I also really enjoy night dives. Very cool, can be a little spooky depending where you are (admit guys, jumping in the ocean, or a river with a swift current for a drift dive can get the heart pumping - but isn't that the point?).

I did two really good night dives on the Barrier Reef. On one, we were pretty shallow, maybe 30 feet. I just relaxed on the bottom, turned my light out for a few moments, and watched the moon glow in the night. The other was on the same liveaboard. We dove about 40 minutes before dawn. As we were done, we surfaced as the ambient light was starting to grow, and the sun was just at the surface on the horizon.

I also really enjoy night dives. Very cool, can be a little spooky depending where you are (admit guys, jumping in the ocean, or a river with a swift current for a drift dive can get the heart pumping - but isn't that the point?).

The last night dive I did was with someone who had never done one before. We started off at dusk at a site we'd dove earlier in the day and just gradually adjusted to the fading light.

It's not quite such a shock to someone that's a little spooked by the idea that way.

Sounds like a good idea to get an uneasy diver confortable about night diving, Cave Diver.
Its not only a good idea, its even in the standards for the PADI AOW/Night diver to have dived the site for night dive during the day to be familiar with it..

I enjoy night shore diving in S Cal. For one thing you don't overheat after suiting up, parking is easy, I can do it after work, there's a mystery to it, and I like playing with lights. I don't like very early morning dives that many do. Also the ocean with reflecting lights is beautiful at night.

You do have to be familiar with the dive site, stay close to your buddy and be well within comfort zone of dive conditions.

Adam

The family and I did our first night dive this past week down in Cozumel. It was a small group (6 including our guide), and it was incredible! We did run into some other groups on the reef, but really the only way to tell they were there were thanks to their dive lights. We saw all sorts of things including an octopus and a couple of huge crabs that we would not have seen during the day. The highlight of the dive, though, was where we turned off our lights and just floated for a few minutes while we saw the plankton glow around us. Very cool! We would definitely do a night dive again.

After reading this thread I am really interested in night diving. Sounds like lots of fun, what are these tusa reef lights some have mentioned? i'd like to be well equipped for the situation and have a good light that would not scare away the marine life, any other recommendations

After reading this thread I am really interested in night diving. Sounds like lots of fun, what are these tusa reef lights some have mentioned? i'd like to be well equipped for the situation and have a good light that would not scare away the marine life, any other recommendations

It is this one. It was recommended to me and I love it. It is good during the day to look into nooks and crannies, and plenty bright to use as a primary at night in OW environments. I like that the beam is a bit wider than most smaller lights. I can see more that way.

Tabata USA, Inc. - NEW : TUL-300 LED DIVE LIGHT [TUL-300]

My first night dive I was a virtual Ramora clinging closely to my instructor. 2-3 dives later I was trying to lose the pack for the solitude and peace...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom