Unrepresentative profile "logged dive" numbers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One of my favorite deep dive sites is Ship Rock off Catalina Island. You can go as deep as you want there. My deepest there was 240 feet. The rock breaks the surface, so every minute of the dive offers things to see. The oxygen hang is spent on a shelf with kelp and garibaldis. For offshore deep dives I spent many of my ascents watching jellies float by.

I too only do deco where it's as interesting as the deep part of the dive itself. I'm on relatively short dives (3-4 and 5hrs max) recently so I suppose it might get long if I'm hanging out in a habitat or dangling on a line eventually for extended periods. For now I'm on interesting bottom contours or in the caves. All is active diving, maybe I'm new enough to long deco to still find it exciting in a way... I also don't often do midwater stops. Have to say I'm glad for the CCR deco best mix advantage though when I am getting cold and hungry...

All that said.. I still get random dive shop recruiters try to sign me up for DSD classes. #prosknowbest

Reflecting on the various answers I think I'll leave my dive count as is instead of changing it to 'I don't log dives'. Because I do have a log (even if it isn't hand written or carefully numbered). I would feel silly with the 'I'm a fish' designation. I've been underwater long enough to know I'm nothing like a fish and not long enough to close that gap in a meaningful way. Stuck in the middle where I know I don't know enough to know I know much at all. But know enough to know better (should behave myself).

(All interesting takes on the dive count feature. I don't intend my own decision about the 'I'm a fish' to in any way critique those who do feel like 'I'm a fish' sums up their attitude towards dive count.)

Last edited:
One of my favorite deep dive sites is Ship Rock off Catalina Island. You can go as deep as you want there. My deepest there was 240 feet. The rock breaks the surface, so every minute of the dive offers things to see. The oxygen hang is spent on a shelf with kelp and garibaldis. For offshore deep dives I spent many of my ascents watching jellies float by.
I'm envious. I did some diving below 300 feet in Cozumel, at the dive site known as Palancar Caves. The decompression stops in that case were far more interesting than the bottom portion of the dive. That is not, however, the norm for me.

My logging and failure thereof is just a product of laziness. I have the card, I go on a few vacation dives here and there, and have little need for a journal.

I'm curious the reason for those scubaboard members who choose not to display number of dives which correspond with the number of dives they have been on ...
That option clearly states: "logged dives".

I quit logging dives years ago so my number won't change until SB asks for 'number of dives'.

I had never really thought about it - I do Log dives - in my head. I initially had the mandatory here's your cert and log book but I'm messy as hell and had two or three on the go as I travel a lot so depended which bag I grabbed had which log book in it. I can't even keep my passport dry and in semi decent condition so a lot of log books got wet or trampled on by herds of wild bison. I did grab the first one I could find with blank pages for a LOB a few years ago as almost an after thought. At some stage during the trip another diver obviously had a good peek as he commented one day that I shouldn't have left it two years between dives...ok.
A lot of the reason I don't log dives is for better or worse I have a pretty close to photographic memory. I dive for me, those dives are crystal clear inside my head. I can tell you about the strong current swim down to Mayhem at Raja at the beginning of a dive to midway through the dive spotting a stealth mode wobbegong inches from my face right side of the sea mound @ 17m and the safety stop time with my new turtle instabuddy while looking at impossibly small nudis...I can even tell you what you were wearing before the dive and where you were sitting on the dive deck during the briefing. If you sat within my line of site thru dinner, I can tell you what you were eating.
TBH it's not as much of a good thing as it may sound - you also remember the not so pleasant moments of life with the exact same clarity.
Interestingly as I'm getting older/had a couple of years of major life upheavals my short term memory has gone to Sh!t. Can remember the Worlds Best Father tshirt worn by lady sitting behind me on flight to Milne Bay but got no freaking clue what I just walked into the kitchen for.
So...I guess that's why I don't log dives on paper.

Reflecting on the various answers I think I'll leave my dive count as is instead of changing it to 'I don't log dives'. Because I do have a log (even if it isn't hand written or carefully numbered). I would feel silly with the 'I'm a fish' designation. I've been underwater long enough to know I'm nothing like a fish and not long enough to close that gap in a meaningful way. Stuck in the middle where I know I don't know enough to know I know much at all. But know enough to know better (should behave myself).

I consider "I'm a fish" to be a good sense of humour. I don't think it is literal.

*-Ahem-*. We do have a few paces in the NE that are 260' or deeper. Just sayin'. ;-)
His reference was specifically to me and my diving habits. He knows I live in Colorado most of the year but spend several months each year in Florida. He was asking in which of those two locations I was diving to those depths.

It is an early AM in CenCal, So I reverted to my very early AM activity reading the "board" and was attracted to this thread and the responses.

A bit of sage advice -- Log every hyperbaric exposure-- from the swimming pool and your training to mud puddles, quarries to the ocean -- It is all hyperbaric exposure -- the body cannot identify if the water is fresh clear pool water, a mud puddle or ocean salt water.

This present generation is the very first generation in the history of man to experience massive often long term hyperbaric exposure. Who knows what effects such exposure will have on health and longevity ?

Based on the very small samples of those who began diving long before the popularity of recreational diving it is possible that audio and equilibrium systems will be impacted as well as orthopedic involvement in the form of aseptic bone necrosis and yet to be identified or named diving maladies

At this junction in the very short history of diving there is no data to determine if this can or will occur

Never the less I would suggest that you log ALL hyperbaric exposures

Logging dives has been around for a while --

The first US log book was designed in 1955 (62 years ago) by the late Dick Bonin founder of SCUBA Pro and marketed by the long gone company called "Dive Master: of Chicago
@drbill, and @Marie13, note there was a huge dive operation in your town 60 plus years ago).

The second dive log was designed by Tom Ebro in 1966 (11 years later - 51 years ago ) As a requirement for the LA County Underwater Instructors Association for use in the worlds first ADP, the LA CO three (3) month long many dives Advanced Diver Program, aka ADP and for use in the LA Co UICC, the worlds first underwater training program established in 1954, which continues as the worlds most demanding a prestigious diving instructors training program ,

The rest of the diving world did not immediately develop dive logs but when the did they used, aka change the cover and/or patterned their dive logs after LA Counties' log book.. Now there are many diving logs in every format-- ----choose one that fits your needs

I suspect that some organizations and resorts demand logs be maintained and presented ($$$)

It is recommend that you maintain a dive log- and take it on every dive trip and log every dive ASAP after the dive.
Log all that encompass hyperbaric exposure -in deep pool, a mud puddle, a quarry and the ocean- always include date, place depth and time. These entries are not only for your your benefit but are invaluable for the attending or treating doctor and nurses in the event of an unfortunate event or to treat some mysterious ailment when you reach dotage
According to my son Sam IV who is an ER & Hyperbaric doc most admits to ERs and for Hyperbaric treatment with diving related problems are not accompanied by the important dive history.

However dive history is becoming better with the advent of the dive computer and should always accompany the affected diver to a chamber for treatment

The present generation is the first generation in the history of man that has been massively and repeatedly exposed to hyperbaric environments.

** Certain protocols for safe diving are in place -- slower assents, the safety stops .etc but long term value is undetermined at this juncture in time
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
FYI
During the 1980s and 1990s we had a loose organization in SoCal called "The fathers of free diving and spear fishing, " which was composed of as the title describes the fathers of free diving and spear fishing -- the ones who formed basis for "recreational" diving." All began long before Cousteau arrived in the US in 1948 with his bubble machine . these were the men and occasional woman who were there in the early days of the sport , some in the 1920s, others in began in the 1930s and the youngsters in the 1940s which included me and and my companions.

We met periodically for over 10 years and soon noticed our ranks were thinning in numbers and those attending were advancing in age..

It was determined to have one last meeting of what was remaining of the tribe ( no disrespect to native Americans or Canadians First Nations ) but that was our accepted name --no supper duper pooper diver/instructor ...Just a member of the tribe.

2000 was the date..the last gathering of the tribe.. letters were sent, telephoned calls were made and the fathers world wide responded and attended. This was the last great gathering of a group that was privileged and honored to be a participant and observer of a series of events that occurred for a very short time and never ever will be experienced again up on this earth.

The common thread was hearing aids and orthopedic devices all indicated was related to diving

That was 17 years ago all of the tribe from the 20s and 30s have departed to the big reef in the sky and only a smattering remain of the 1940s tribe .My fellow "Fathers" who began with me in the 1940s are among those in the big reef in the sky I am now experiencing the long term effect of hyperbaric exposures -- hearing is reduced (a lot!) we all had lots of trauma to the ears, equilibrium difficulties and a minimum amount of osteonecrosis, and of course some ecpected ambulatory difficulties ....But -- I would not hesitate do it all over again !!!

My dear wife and all my five children have been diving in excess of 40 years and all the grand children are on their way as divers . and we are all aware of the possible long term effects-- But for me it was an honor to be a member of the fathers and on occasion pass on some unsolited perhaps sage advice
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
fyi
you might want to google
San Diego Bottom Scratcher Spear Fishing club- Organized in 1931 86 years ago
Long Beach Neptune's Spear Fishing club-Organized in 1940s by Bill Barada
Charlie Sturgil-began diving in 1929
Dr. Sam Miller 111 diver or SCUBA
Dr. Sam Miller, IV ( use numbers in our family )
SAM IV is a NAUI (Life member) PADI instructor and SSI Pro 5000 (5000 verified dives ) as well as a ER & Hyperbaric doctor --has an impressive CV

So keep on logging dives !
'I apologize for being a little off the subject--and wordy

Sam Miller, III

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom