Unknown Inflator valve

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's great, you may have noticed the deflate button stays firmly installed without the retainer
waiting to jump out at the most inopportune moment, usually underneath the wide blue waves

I drill a hole through the spring retainer and shaft and install a countersunk stainless self tapper

It seems you may have manufactured a stud from a screw. Now that really is, Very Magnificent!

That's great, you may have noticed the deflate button stays firmly installed without the retainer
waiting to jump out at the most inopportune moment, usually underneath the wide blue waves

I drill a hole through the spring retainer and shaft and install a countersunk stainless self tapper

It seems you may have manufactured a stud from a screw. Now that really is, Very Magnificent!

IMG_7048.JPG

IMG_7050.JPG

I've cut the original stud, which was broken, and drilled a 3/16" threaded hole and inserted a 3/16 stainless steel unheaded screw. I've replaced the stud with a 3D printed stud. All glued with cyanoacrylate. Much stronger than the original.

There is a huge culture here in SB that verses "Throw away, replace with a new one and do not repair". I do not share with that culture.
Of course there are times when a repair is feasible and when it's not, but when it is, go ahead.
Besides, market, zone conditions, spares availability, etc do not allow that culture. Some times it's a matter of repair or rent in the next dive.
All gear breaks, that's a fact. So buying new whenever something breaks, is dirty or needs a service, seems to be an advice said by manufacturers, not by users.
I always like to compare this with a car. Replace the tyre, rim, screws and brakes whener you see a flat tyre.

There is a group of hard core DIY enthusiast on board but they are really the minority. I also believe there are a lot more willing to join in but were restricted by two important factors eg. equipment and knowledge.
I probably can disassemble that power inflator but definitely would not be able to carry out all the required work.

Car was easy 30 yrs ago but not any more except the very basic.

Absolutely yes. The deflate button assembly is only secured in place with a little plastic clip very easy to came off.

Back
Top Bottom