Unintended Lesson in Diving Physics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Litefoot

Contributor
Reaction score
We were late heading to my son's birthday party in SLC, so we hurriedly stopped to buy a gift card and a very large helium-filled mylar balloon at the local market. At the top of the highest mountain pass in route, the balloon exploded, scaring the badookie out of us before we realized what had happened. Balloon purchased at 5500' and exploded at 8500' elevation. Afterwards, my wife was thinking "we've got to find another balloon". I was thinking "number one rule, don't hold your breath while scuba diving". Anyone living in the mountain states of the American west sees every day the potato chip bags on store shelves blown up like a TSA officer stuffed into a cop suit with the buttons screaming for mercy.

Funny story, especially for me in Australia. 5500 feet is almost as high as the highest accommodation in our country. 8500 feet is over 1000 feet higher than our highest mountain, Mount Kosciuszko.

Funny story, especially for me in Australia. 5500 feet is almost as high as the highest accommodation in our country. 8500 feet is over 1000 feet higher than our highest mountain, Mount Kosciuszko.
Hold my beer.

8500 feet is over 8100 feet higher than the highest point in FL, and about 8400 feet over the average elevation.

So living in Utah you've got to have other outdoor interests besides diving. I'm in BC and we have a lot of great outdoor things in our backyard, but I still love to come to Utah to canoe, hike and canyoneer.

So living in Utah you've got to have other outdoor interests besides diving. I'm in BC and we have a lot of great outdoor things in our backyard, but I still love to come to Utah to canoe, hike and canyoneer.
Yes, there is much to do here. I love to mountain bike, backpack and float the rivers. All my kids are accomplished in some sort of outdoor activity. My son-in-law is one the better river runners in Utah. My oldest son invites me to go canyoneering; continuing the rock climbing tradition we started when he was young. One of the most deeply satisfying experiences is to listen to your son teaching his friends a skill (like rappelling) using your exact words so many years before.

Yes, there is much to do here. I love to mountain bike, backpack and float the rivers. All my kids are accomplished in some sort of outdoor activity. My son-in-law is one the better river runners in Utah. My oldest son invites me to go canyoneering; continuing the rock climbing tradition we started when he was young. One of the most deeply satisfying experiences is to listen to your son teaching his friends a skill (like rappelling) using your exact words so many years before.
Strange how mind works.
I also remember stuff like that, but for the life of me can't remember when I have promised my wife that I will buy her a new purse, although she claims I did.

Back
Top Bottom