Unified Dive Industry wants to change DEMA for the better!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As a dive shop owner I have had several of my vendors ask me to sign "the petition". While I probably won't have a problem doing that.....I just haven't been able to glean what this is about. I went to the unified industry website but I guess I'm missing something.....what is the actual problem/what led to the petition being created? Is there a website or post on scubaboard that defines the actual problem/s or issue/s?
Dick Long is here to answer all of our questions: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/un...176-welcome-unifed-diving-industry-forum.html

If the current BOD is smart they will all sign ASAP, then declare the past is in the past, and offer their slate of candidates for the "new" BOD election.

The last few to sign will certainly make themselves an inviting target.

Good chance many get re-elected, sad but possible.

Tobin

I would like to see the candidates put on the ballot by grass roots and then voted on, rather than a list put together by a certain few.

I would like to see the candidates put on the ballot by grass roots and then voted on, rather than a list put together by a certain few.

it won't be the few doing the nominations by any means!

Sorry for the inconvenience. I should have solved that problem now! Let me know if I haven't!

To Divesite
Please remember this is my first time at this. You wanted to know why. There are actually a lot of reasons. But to hit the high points. A proposal was brought to the Dema BOD to remove the term limits in the by laws. Some of the directors did not think that was OK so they put it up to the membership as a question. 85% said don't do it. So they made a special election with a very short turn around; like 10 days. Most would not even see the ballot in that time. They neglected to tell any one that the only person that it would efect was Al Hornsby. PADI has regestered a number of their companies and paid the max dues so they get 25 votes per company. Even then the vote was very close. The big problem that is in the past less then 15% of the total voting power ever voted. So in truth the problem is all of us not voting or taking an interest in what is going on. Each board member is required to sign a confidentualy agreement, then they mark every thing confidentual. So no one outside the BOD will ever find out what is going on. Bottom line Dema is not effective and you can't change it with out something like this. I hope this helps.
Dick

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Dick.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom