Underwear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

barb

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm planning on buying a drysuit and have been searching for really warm and cozy underwear.
Uncle Pugs undies seem to be getting rave reviews as well as Weezle undies.
I'm curious, what underwear would you recommend or definitely NOT recommend for warmth and comfort?
:cold:

While I don't dive a dry suit (can't stand the neck seals yet) I do ride a lot of motocycles in inclimate weather. I would recommend staying away from cotton and nylon as these both tend to trap water next to the body and can cause uncomfortable cooling. I recommend either silk or polypropylene to wick moiture away from the body to keep you dry and warm.

I use the BARE polar series underware. Very comfortable in the warmer days and for colder months I like the polar extremes

Andies, Weezle DUI Bare are all good for warmth. You will probably need two sets depending on how much you'll dive in the cold. I use 400 wt custom Andies in the winter(36 degree F) and a 200 wt(55 and up) in the summer. Weezles seem to work pretty well also. If you get cold easy get the heavy stuff...just make sure it doesn't restrict your movement.... I'd recommend them both over a silk underwear set....although the silk is probably more appealing:)

I love my Weezle Extreme. Diving Concepts has some nice stuff as well. I agree, make sure you can move your arms, torso freely.

Eric

Congrats on doing the drysuit thing! :)

There are a couple of ways of looking at exposure protection:

1) single piece undergarment like DUI, Weezle, et. al. You will probably need more than one depending on the range of temps you dive in &/or the type of material your drysuit is made from.

2) multiple layers of undergarments. I've found the best of these include the type of long-sleeved poly shirt that snow skiers or winter hikers wear. They are light weight but also wick off moisture. (Yes, you CAN and DO sweat in a drysuit!). So often I will have one of these on and a pair of cycling tights as a base layer. If I need more on top, I'll throw on a sweatshirt; more on the bottom & I switch to winter tights or a pair of sweats with leotards underneath.

To me the 2nd one is preferable because I can truly customize with a minimum of muss/fuss. Plus I don't have to spend copious amounts of money doing it!

BTW, my dive experience included water as cold as 34F up to tropical temps. I have dove full 1/4" neoprene drysuits and trilams.

Just my $0.02's worth,

~SubMariner~

One word- LAYERS
Stay away from cotton, at least close to your skin, it will hold any moisture right where you don't want it. Silk is nice, but you need something to wick moisture away from your skin and keep it away. Fleece, polypropylene and wool are all very good, and you can find them cheap everywhere. Try an Army surplus store or outdoor type shop. It doesn't have to be a one piece (bunny suit) but the overlap of shirts and pants adds bulk.
Layers will let you adjust to the water and air temp. Sometimes its better to be a little cool in the water then to sweat buckets into your suit topside.

I've been looking at a set of long johns at a local camping supply place made out of thinsulate.
Anybody have any experience with these? do these work?

I wear a shell suit, Viking HD

The Bare Polar Extreme keep me warm all year round.
I wear Combi Layer 1 polypropylene ski underwear, under the Bare, for Ice diving in the winter.

Mike D
:blfish:

Back
Top Bottom