Underwatercamera survey

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

uprising

New
Reaction score
For my writing class my group and i need to conduct a survey for a potential product that we will design and create. Our product is an underwater camera mask, which is more of a niche product. Because at our school we can't find many divers, we were hoping that anyone who has the time could fill out this quick survey. Just repost the survey and bold or underline your answers. We greatly appreciate your time. thankyou.

Product Survey

This is a survey being conducted by UCSB students to help determine the current market and design possibilities for sub-aquatic goggles with an integrated camera system. We would appreciate it if you took a few moments to complete this survey.

1. Are you a snorkeler, scuba diver, or photographer? Yes No

2. If yes, how often do you partake in these activities?
Daily Weekly Monthly Rarely

3. Do you own a camera? (If yes, please answer questions 4 and 5. If no, skip to question 6.)
Yes No

4. What kind of camera do you own? (If more than one, select the one used most often.)
Digital Digital SLR 35mm 35mm SLR Other: (please list)

5. How much did you pay for it?
<$50 $50 - $150 $150 - $250 $250 - $350 >$350

6. Have you ever used an aquatic camera? (If yes, answer questions 7 and 8. If no, skip to question 9.) Yes No

7. How easy was it to use the aquatic camera? (1 = very easy, 7 = very hard)
1 2 3 4 5 6 7

8. How pleased were you with the picture quality? (1 = very pleased, 7 = not at all pleased)
1 2 3 4 5 6 7

9. What do you look for most in a camera? Please rank in order of preference from 1-7.
Capacity ____ Battery Life ____ Resolution _____ Zoom ______
LCD Screen _____ Operability ______ Durability _____

10. What kind of battery would you prefer? Please circle one.
Non-Removable Removable, Non-Rechargeable Removable, Rechargeable

11. How much would you be willing to pay for sub-aquatic goggles with an integrated camera system?
$50 - $150 $150 - $250 $250 - $350 >$350

Thank you for taking the time to participate in our survey.

1. Are you a snorkeler, scuba diver, or photographer? Snorkeler-No. Scuba diver-yes. Photographer-always have a camera when diving.

On average 6-8 times a year.

3. Do you own a camera? (If yes, please answer questions 4 and 5. If no, skip to question 6.)
Yes - several.

4. What kind of camera do you own? (If more than one, select the one used most often.)
Digitals (3) and 35mm SLR (3)

>$350 for each one.

6. Have you ever used an aquatic camera? Yes.

8. How pleased were you with the picture quality? (1 = very pleased, 7 = not at all pleased)

9. What do you look for most in a camera? Please rank in order of preference from 1-7.
Capacity __6__ Battery Life __5__ Resolution __1___ Zoom ___7___
LCD Screen ___4__ Operability ___2___ Durability __3___

Rechargeable

11. How much would you be willing to pay for sub-aquatic goggles with an integrated camera system?
>$350

1. Are you a snorkeler, scuba diver, or photographer? Yes

2. If yes, how often do you partake in these activities? Monthly

Yes

Digital Digital

$350

6. Have you ever used an aquatic camera? (If yes, answer questions 7 and 8. If no, skip to question 9.) Yes

7. How easy was it to use the aquatic camera? 3

8. How pleased were you with the picture quality? 3

Capacity 7 Battery Life 2 Resolution 1 Zoom 4
LCD Screen 6 Operability 5 Durability 3

Rechargeable

11. How much would you be willing to pay for sub-aquatic goggles with an integrated camera system?$350

You can't use Goggles when scuba diving.
I'm just saying.

Yes No

6. Have you ever used an aquatic camera? (If yes, answer questions 7 and 8. If no, skip to question 9.) Yes No (assuming you are including my regular camera adapted for aquatic use - i.e. in an underwater case)

1 2 3 4 5 6 7

1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Capacity _7___ Battery Life __3__ Resolution __6___ Zoom ___5___
LCD Screen __4___ Operability __1____ Durability ___2__

$50 - $150 $150 - $250 $250 - $350 >$350

Nothing. Can't wear goggles for diving. Even if you modify the question to include mask with integrated camera, the answer is still nothing. I selected my camera for its features (ability to make many manual adjustments, good close (less than an inch) macro being two of them), and I selected my mask for fit and functionality. It is unlikely that a mask and camera combination that would match both of those personal taste needs for even moderately serious divers/photographers would have much mass market appeal. Even if you got it just right, I still can't see walking around with my mask on above water to use my camera (integrated in my mask), and I'm not much of a buy-a-duplicate-basic-item-tailored-to-meet-every-circumstance-in-which-I-might-want-to-use-it kinda gal. (i.e. I'm not likely to buy one camera for above water and a separate camera for below)

You might, I suppose, make something equivalent in camera quality and simplicity to the throw-away underwater cameras and mass market goggles/mask, but I would not be interested. Those might sell in the $50-$100 range.

Weekly

Yes

Digital Digital SLR

>$350

6. Have you ever used an aquatic camera? (If yes, answer questions 7 and 8. If no, skip to question 9.) Yes

Capacity 2____ Battery Life 3____ Resolution 1_____ Zoom 6______
LCD Screen 7_____ Operability 5______ Durability 4_____

Removable, Rechargeable

$0: not interested

Ditto NancyLynn's comments, plus how would you mount strobes on goggles? A basic high end DSLR rig with multiple ports for different lenses, strobes, etc is easily $5,000. Your market is a very basic point and shoot snorkeler.

Good Luck with Business Plan

Dan

Yes No

6. Have you ever used an aquatic camera? (If yes, answer questions 7 and 8. If no, skip to question 9.) Yes No

1 2 3 4 5 6 7

1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Capacity __6__ Battery Life __2__ Resolution __1___ Zoom ____5__
LCD Screen __7___ Operability ____3__ Durability _4____

$50 -$250 $250 $150 $150 - - $350 >$350

Weekly

Yes

Digital

$150 - $250

Capacity _7___ Battery Life __4__ Resolution __3___ Zoom __5____
LCD Screen _6___ Operability __1____ Durability _2____

Rechargeable

$50 - $150

I'd try it out but I don't think it would replace my current camera.

1. Are you a snorkeler, scuba diver, or photographer? Yes No (scuba diver/photographer)

Daily Weekly Monthly Rarely (monthly photography, scuba 2-3 times per year)

Yes No

Digital Digital SLR 35mm 35mm SLR Other: (please list) Canon A80; just ordered Canon G9

<$50 $50 - $150 $150 - $250 $250 - $350 >$350 A80 (250-350), G9 >350

6. Have you ever used an aquatic camera? (If yes, answer questions 7 and 8. If no, skip to question 9.) Yes No (assuming you are including my regular camera adapted for aquatic use - i.e. in an underwater case)

1 2 3 4 5 6 7

1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Capacity __6__ Battery Life _5___ Resolution ___4__ Zoom __7____
LCD Screen __2___ Operability ___1___ Durability ___3__

$50 - $150 $150 - $250 $250 - $350 >$350 Zero. That would be too much for me to deal with. I am fine with my camera and my mask.

1. Yes

2. Daily

3. Yes

4. Digital

5. <$50

6. Yes

7. 5

8. 1
9. Capacity _6___ Battery Life __3__ Resolution _1__ Zoom ___7___
LCD Screen ___5__ Operability __4____ Durability __2___

10. Removable, Rechargeable

11. I am fine with my camera and mask