Underwater Video Lights vs Strobes?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

adamsh

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I have a question that has probably been asked 100s of times already, but here goes.

Instead of using a strobe is it feasible to use an underwater video light for taking digital pictures, I personally think a video light would make life easier, If the light is always on you can correctly light the subject and see through the view finder whether it is to bright or to dark, I was looking at something like this http://camerasunderwater.co.uk/video/sony/pix/HVL-ML20.jpg (only not as expensive as this one).

Has anyone tried this?, if so what results did they get?. I don't see why it wouldn't work and it would save taking many pictures of the same thing to get the correct light setting for a strobe.

Cheers
Adam

adamsh:
is it feasible to use an underwater video light for taking digital pictures
We are evaluating this now. One dive completed, using a Dive-Rite 10W HID with video reflector/4040 - pix were taken of the same objects with strobe alone, with strobe and video light, and with the video light alone. Initial evaluation is that the best color sat and accuracy is with the HID/video reflector alone.
I'll post again after my buddy gets back from Bonaire the end of the month, where he's going to conduct a 20+ dive test.
Rick

I don't see why not. I've seen lots of pictures that a local guy ( I don't know who he is. I've just seen his pictures) takes with a HID and a digital camera. They look just fine. I was thinking it would be easier to balance natural and artificial light and try different lighting angles because you can see the results before you click the shutter.

Funny you ask this question now: I have been researching this for the last 2 months and - surprisingly - received virtually no responses from this board. This morning I ordered a strobe, and...

Anyway, what I did find was that it supposedly works very well close-up, but that the 25W/50W video lights are underpowered for distances over 1 foot or so.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom