• Yes

Votes: 22 27.5%
  • No

Votes: 56 70.0%
  • Maybe: Explain below

Votes: 2 2.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's time to revisit this question. Have you ever fallen asleep underwater and if so what were you thinking about?
The last time this was asked was about 16 years ago (according to a search I did here).

I have both in fresh water and salty seas. Both times, it was in the shallows and I was just hovering around 10-20 feet just watching my fish friends. It did not last too long according to elapsed time on the computer.

What if your reg falls out of mouth while sleeping?

Then you will have a problem. And I don't mean it as a joke.

A tight necklace would avoid that, btw it was a rule to dive with one during the 40s and 50s (at least in France) to avoid accidental drowning if you had a black out.

As far as I'm concerned, I've never feared to spit out my regulator while napping underwater as I tend to bite my teeth while sleeping.

A tight necklace would avoid that, btw it was a rule to dive with one during the 40s and 50s (at least in France) to avoid accidental drowning if you had a black out.

As far as I'm concerned, I've never feared to spit out my regulator while napping underwater as I tend to bite my teeth while sleeping.

Thats a great idea, a tight necklace that is. I had a CO2 hit on my AOW deep dive when i was new to diving. borrowed reg dialed all the way in with little air flow and heavy finning at 90 ft deep to get to the others. blacked out woke up reg hanging at side and gulped water. dive buddy staring at me still ....and likely narced as we were all about 15 dives in cold water with low viz in monterey.
quickly grabbed reg and started coughing hard as i could into it. dive buddy said he thought i was out of air....um but he forgot to offer his reg oops

anyway a tight necklace would possibly have prevented drinking seawater

It's time to revisit this question. Have you ever fallen asleep underwater and if so what were you thinking about?
The last time this was asked was about 16 years ago (according to a search I did here).

I have both in fresh water and salty seas. Both times, it was in the shallows and I was just hovering around 10-20 feet just watching my fish friends. It did not last too long according to elapsed time on the computer.

Do you guys who fall asleep while diving also fall asleep while driving? Seems similarly dangerous. And seems like either is a sign of narcolepsy or other sleep disorder.

Nodding off frequently and/or inappropriately may be a symptom of obstructive sleep apnea (OSA). Individuals with apnea are sleep-deprived because they don't experience a restful sleep during the night.

If you have OSA that means you stop breathing periodically while you are sleeping and it puts a major strain on your heart and lungs and increases the risk of heart attacks and related diseases. If you find yourself nodding off a lot you might consider seeing a doctor to rule out (or confirm) OSA; it's quite a common condition.

I have sleep apnea but it is controlled and I am doing fine. I've never fallen asleep underwater but I am not a professional diver, just an occasional vacation diver.

When you are documenting deficiencies on piles, footers or other bridge elements the procedure it to clean off the barnacles and then take a picture of the area in question with a measuring device close by to show dimensions.

Most of the times there's no current to "clear" the water of the mess you make while removing the barnacles and generally stirring things up. The only way to get a decent picture of the deficiency is to wait until things settle, this sometimes can take 10 minutes, 15 if it is right after lunch.
The only issue is that even if you disconnect the communications, the tender topside can tell by the rhythm of the bubbles and sometimes have small rocks handy to throw at you.

When you are documenting deficiencies on piles, footers or other bridge elements the procedure it to clean off the barnacles and then take a picture of the area in question with a measuring device close by to show dimensions.

Most of the times there's no current to "clear" the water of the mess you make while removing the barnacles and generally stirring things up. The only way to get a decent picture of the deficiency is to wait until things settle, this sometimes can take 10 minutes, 15 if it is right after lunch.
The only issue is that even if you disconnect the communications, the tender topside can tell by the rhythm of the bubbles and sometimes have small rocks handy to throw at you.

huh? are you making a bed for your underwater sleep?

Throwing pebbles is just wrong

I often cat nap on long deco stops... not while on a rebreather, but on open circuit.

I’ve had similar experiences to The Chairman in this regard. I haven’t let my situational awareness wander enough to doze while diving a rebreather, and I hope to maintain my thus far uninterrupted record of vigilance, (20+ years), while using CCRs.

I did have an experience recently that was rather novel, and a first for me. During a trip on a live-aboard in Fiji, the ship’s company decided to investigate a sheltered cove as a potential dive site just after lunch. We spread out over the top of the reef wearing just our wetsuits, masks, fins, and snorkels. The site was not particularly promising, and the combination of the calm, warm water, and what was perhaps a bit too bountiful a serving of pasta during the lunch hour made me feel perfectly content, languid, and sluggish. After a few minutes of swimming lazily along the top of the reef, I stopped kicking and gently drifted off to sleep. My full 3mm suit provided enough buoyancy to keep me afloat, and my snorkel remained in my mouth. I did not awaken until the skiff approached to pick me up for the return trip to the mothership.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom