• Yes

Votes: 22 27.5%
  • No

Votes: 56 70.0%
  • Maybe: Explain below

Votes: 2 2.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Compressor

ScubaBoard Supporter
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
It's time to revisit this question. Have you ever fallen asleep underwater and if so what were you thinking about?
The last time this was asked was about 16 years ago (according to a search I did here).

I have both in fresh water and salty seas. Both times, it was in the shallows and I was just hovering around 10-20 feet just watching my fish friends. It did not last too long according to elapsed time on the computer.

I thought cats don't like water.:D The slow methodical breathing cycle puts me in a hypnotic trance of sorts.

The night before my Instructor Exam, the Course Director pulled all of his candidates aside and warned us to get some sleep. He then reminded us that if we fell asleep underwater during the confined or open water portion of the exam, we would immediately fail the exam and would have to come back and completely retake the entire IE.

No one fell asleep during the IE but yes, I have fallen asleep while diving.

Although there are a number of times that I am relaxed enough to have taken a nap I never have up this point. I'm always afraid I am going to miss something.

I once nodded off briefly during a rescue course back when I was a DM. I was the designated unresponsive victim and asked to lay face down on the bottom of our local quarry waiting to be rescued by the students. They took so long faffing about getting ready I drifted off and only came round when one of them eventually tapped my mask. It took me a few seconds to realise what was going on! It does wonders for your SAC rate though.

Do you guys who fall asleep while diving also fall asleep while driving? Seems similarly dangerous. And seems like either is a sign of narcolepsy or other sleep disorder.

I probably have over 300 hours asleep on scuba. And I got paid to do it. Although, as a more mature adult, I feel like it wasn’t the best work ethic ever.

I've been on a dive or two where catching forty winks would have been very appealing, but have never actually done it. Maybe in a full face in four feet of water, but what would be the point.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom