Underwater slate ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BabyDuck:
avpoh8 (or anybody), try the wrist ones on before you buy. i hoped the wetsuit would make up the slack, but it didn't. useless to have if you can't get it to hold still so you can write on it. watches, slates, etc are made for beefy guys, not delicate-wristed girls. (no comments from the peanut gallery.) and doc, what if you don't have pockets? how should it be stowed?
BD,

For some, who use bungee on wrist slates, the small spring-loaded locking devices (like on parka hoods) work to tighten the wrist slate in place. Others use a type of wrist slate that allows a (watch/timer/compass) band to go through two slots in the wrist slate to tighten it into position. I've used wrist slates also for dive plans, and they work out well. When doing so I write the dive plan with a Sharpie onto duct tape and tape it to the inner slates. Pulls off clean afterwards. Leave the top slate blank for 'issues'...

Wrist slates aren't optimal for communications, you can't attach them (as easily) (with incident notes) to a stricken diver being airlifted or ambulanced away somewhere, they don't clip easily to a liftbag if you have a problem while submerged, etc. - there can be decent reasons to have a small slate in a pocket with a clip on it. You just hope you don't need to use it with any frequency.

I also use wet notes as necessary for communications and other stuff.

I'll second the "spend extra time going over hand signals" comment. Personally, I don't have a slate: wetnotes are way better. I generally don't use them for anything but presentation/briefing notes, but it's always a good idea to put your no-deco limits and contingency plans on there for quick reference.

Here is a site that shows the Quest slate. It is a great large slate. Easy
to use easy to earase. It is very large. Won't fit into a BC. But, if you
are working underweater it is a great tool.

http://www.joediveramerica.com/scubagear/prods/QT-2108.html .

I also found a toy version at Toys "R" Us for five bucks. This erases like an etch-a-sketch.

I took the Toys slate and attatched a pencil style slate on the back for more permanent notes.

bob1dp:
Here is a site that shows the Quest slate. It is a great large slate. Easy
to use easy to earase. It is very large. Won't fit into a BC. But, if you
are working underweater it is a great tool.

http://www.joediveramerica.com/scubagear/prods/QT-2108.html .

I also found a toy version at Toys "R" Us for five bucks. This erases like an etch-a-sketch.

I took the Toys slate and attatched a pencil style slate on the back for more permanent notes.

I'll second the "magna-doodle" slate from Toys-r-us. It was $6 and works great. I've never been able to rely on a regular slate because the pencils always crap out on me. The last pencil, the one that came with it, basically desintegrated after it got wet.
You do have to get rid of the clip that is on the magnetic one though. The one it comes with is useless. I poped it off and added a single ender that I clip to the bungee in my BC pocket. Mine has over 80 hours in the pool and is still going strong.

Joe

I use Wetnotes, and love them. I used to have a plain 4x4 slate; it was okay, it could be erased by picking up some sand and rubbing it. However I wouldn't go back now that I have wetnotes. I don't use the wetnotes for basic communication, as I write kinda slow; however they are handy for times where you have a complex message to convey, or to keep a dive plan on.

I am also using DR wetnote and wrist slate. For communication purpose, wetnote is awesome. I used to chat with my buddy, GF, during the satefy stop with a wetnote. It is a really fun, too. Oxycheq also makes a wetnote and is cheapter than DR.

I can't believe people would pay 30 dollars for the equivelant of a magna doodle.
They're 6 dollars at any toystore, that's what we use.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom