Underwater signaling device

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sytech

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I just purchased an "Acou-Stik" underwater rattle device.

Seems loud enough above water but it's way too big. It's 6" in length and about 1.75" in diameter.

I have a large gold ring on my finger that I've used to bang against my tank but it's not quite loud enough.

Any recommendations?

Thanks,

Sy

MARES has a shaker. Smaller in diameter. I have one when I assist in OW courses, to gain the attention of the student. Or in very low visability.

If your good at tinkering. Go to the home center and get some Stainless piping and two end cap and about 3-5 stainless steel ball bearings. That fit in the piping. You can make your own Clacker-shaker that way. Seal it and puch a few holes in it to drain the water.

OR a good light. If you and your buddy are in synic. a good light can be use for signaling.

sytech:
I have a large gold ring on my finger that I've used to bang against my tank but it's not quite loud enough.

Any recommendations?
A closer buddy? :)

I've tried a few different types of underwater noisemakers, but have always gone back to just banging the tank with the boltsnap on the lanyard of my dive light. If you don't have any gear with a suitable boltsnap, you could just hang a boltsnap or double-ender from a d-ring on your BCD.

Charlie Allen

scarefaceDM:
MARES has a shaker. Smaller in diameter. I have one when I assist in OW courses, to gain the attention of the student. Or in very low visability..

At least among some SB respondents, one of those items that 'divers most regret buying later' is a UW noisemaker. :wink:

scarefaceDM:
Go to the home center and get some Stainless piping and two end cap and about 3-5 stainless steel ball bearings.

Agree. DIY is a good way to consider. You can also do this with simple PVC pipe. Learned it from a DM on Roatan, made one myself. You can seal it with cement, and NOT drill any holes if you want. You can use SS bearings or even get something as simple as small lead shot (SS is a little noisier, but not that much).

scarefaceDM:
OR a good light. If you and your buddy are in synic. a good light can be use for signaling.

Very good suggestion. You and your buddy should practice, and agree on signals, to enhance understanding. My recent tec course experience suggest that lights can be great for signaling, BUT you have to practice (and practice) to make communication efficient.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom