underwater rescue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

While her ein Florida there are often pockets of air in the cave I would never stick my head up in one and breath the air. Chnaces are that they are filled with bad air that would kill be anyway, like that AF guy in CA that stuck his head in an air pocket and it killed him.

There was an ow diver that was rescued in a cave in Florida a couple years ago. He found an air pocket that was actually part of a cave that had vents to the surface, so the air was breathable, but he was very lucky in deed.

But back to your question, I was thinking if there was an air pocket in a wreck and it was breathable good air, that if you had not surpassed your NDL up to that point you wouldn't be going into deco while in the pocket since you are no longer breathing compressed air. But I'm probably wrong in my thinking anyway.

If you can get into it the air pocket will be at depth pressure.

To get into a sub you have to lock in. First into a sealed lock at depth pressure. The water is blown (or pumped) out and then pressure is equalized to 1 ATA of the sub interior.
Not going to find a working lock in a wreck.:( .

Penetration is dangerous and ALWAYS requires proper training and equipment.

Bent on the surface is better than drown on the bottom.
Best is planning the dive, dining the plan and coming out of the water healthy and happy.

you'd be wise to do the deco, gas supply permitting.

If you don't have the gas supply, then you have to choices - be bent or dead. I choose bent, but I don't go inside unless I have the gear to avoid that problem in the first place.

First the odds of finding a AIR Pocket is slim to none in a wreck , possibly in a cave then you have the question weather its good air that will sustain you as you goiving off carbon dioxide .
now for the next part if you did most allmost all would be in state of panic after going through that, would they allow you to do deco prombly not !!
also we have saying in medical field which some people dont under stand .
its goes like this ( Life Over Limb ) . meaning we would rather save your life than not !!!
so with that get up out water head to compression chamber , also after possibly hypotherma, there are just too many varables.

AS far as the air pocket being considered "bottom time", of course it is!! Pipedope is right. (But he knew that already)

For further proof, go to, I think it's the Blue Grotto in Florida.

They have an airbell at about 50ft. You can stick your head up in there and breathe the air. It's good air, but you are told, before you even get there, that time in the bell is considered bottom time.

It's under pressure, and that's the key.

Want to hijack the thread very briefly. I read "The Cave Divers" great book. I had John Orlowski sign my book just after he certified me as a cavern diver this past May. GREAT GUY!!!! AWESOME teacher also.

Back to the thread. As has been mentioned it is important not to do dives that you are not trained and comfortable with. Not good to get in over your head. Sorry for the pun.

Anyone who's familiar with the wrecks of Brockville, ON knows you can find a couple air pockets inside the Daryaw.

I've been in them - it's about 65 or 70 feet of depth, and I wouldn't want to breath the air unless I HAD to, but there is an air pocket, none the less.

I believe it's mostly trapped divers exhaust.

My first commercial diving contract was a 4 month stint in the Bay of Campeche', Mexico in 1981. I was hired as a diving tender - the bottom of the rung in the hierarchy of the deepsea diving world.

The barge I called home was designed to bury large diameter oilfield pipeline. It did this utilizing a large "Claw" ( a dredge-type affair ) that used jets of high pressure water to dig a trench in the soft goo of the Bay.

The diving system included a 1000' saturation diving spread with a diving bell that could be tracked out over the stern of the barge & lowered down into the sea. Diving operations were carried on routinely around the clock in support of dredging, but one night, things were anything but routine.

The bell was on bottom late one night when the weather started to kick up a fuss. The Supervisor decided to bring the bell back up & go w.o.w. ( wait-on-weather ). As the bell broke surface a large wave smacked into it & sent it swinging. A subsea camera housed in a stainless steel canister was mounted over one of the bell portholes. As the bell swung upwards, the camera housing struck the steel frame of the bell tracking skid & punched the housing right through the porthole!

Now to understand the gravity of this situation, you must understand the divers in the bell were saturated to a depth of 180'; a sudden, rapid loss of bell pressure means explosive decompression sickness like you don't want to know!

The instant the Housing struck the frame, three things occured simultaneously: The Supervisor orderd the bell back to depth at flank speed & the Life Support Technician ( responsible for the saturation complex / bell & works in the "control van" - a sort of "mission control" ) opened the bell blowdown valves wide in an attempt to maintain the required internal bell pressure. Lastly, the divers in the bell donned their dive helmets & reconnected the hot water supplys to their suits...

...back at 180', two divers in a flooded bell, shaken, stirred, but thankfully alive. Problem was, we had no way to plug the 5" dia. hole that was the porthole, thus we could not bring the boys home.

Luck would have it that a Norwegian dive vessel, specially designed for oilfield diving ops. was working nearby that night. Theirs was a state-of-the-art dynamic positioning vessel ( they could maintain station with computer-controlled thrusters ).They steamed over, dropped their bell down with two divers onboard, & did the first bell-to-bell transfer of stranded saturation divers ever attempted.

Our guys were treated onboard their ship in their sat. system, though fortuneately, both divers were asymptomatic of d.c.s.

So there you go, if your gonna get stuck u/w, do it in an offshore oilfield where the ultimate in diving technology is operating, otherwise - keep the area over your head free n' clear!

Be sub-safe,

D.S.D.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom