Underwater Rattle/banger

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I went to a dollar store and picked up a few cheap keychains they had. What I wanted was the 1 inch billard (pool) balls that were attached to the chains. They look like their made of fiberglass resin. I took the chains off and drilled them out and then ran a peice of bungee cord through them. Then slid them over the bottom of out tank and all you need to do is reach back pull them from the tank and let go.

I made a compact rattler by using a 2-1/2" piece of 3/4" copper. I inserted one nut (maybe 5/16") and sweated a cap on each end. I also sweated a brass cotter pin on the end to attach a split ring. It makes a distintive and very audible sound and has held up well.

The only problem is air travel. It gets you a guaranteed search!

Dennis

I made one out of sst tubing with a steel ball inside, welded the ends shut, but I work for a valve manufacturer where welding tubes is an everyday thing. The shop even laser etched my name and "knocker" on it, It worked pretty good, ask Dennis.

could just go down to the south and pick up a rattler!!!
hisssss!

Dave Zimmerly:
No, but you might want to try what we use: Get a brass/stainless Double-Eye Snap Bolt. On one end attach your whistle, attach other end to a D-ring. Underwater, detach snap and bang on your tank.

Dave (aka "Squirt")

Lots of DM's in Coz do that....

Ron

i don't think i will buy those rattlers, don't know where to stuff them...i do use a black diamond carabiner to bang my tank with. same kind i use to secure my camera to my d ring.

i can bang the tank or click the spring thing...makes a distinct but not so annoying sound

Fish_Whisperer:
I just made one out of 3/4" copper tubing, put five or six ball bearings in it (wristrocket ammo, actually), and then sweated the ends on it. It's LOUD! :wink:

Frank,

picture, picture, picture!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom