Underwater Rattle/banger

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No, but you might want to try what we use: Get a brass/stainless Double-Eye Snap Bolt. On one end attach your whistle, attach other end to a D-ring. Underwater, detach snap and bang on your tank.

Dave (aka "Squirt")

I took a small underwater flashlight I already had and took out the bulb and batteries and put in some plastic nuts, and it sounds a lot like the rattlers that are for sale.

I just made a couple for my wife and myself. Used 1/2" PVC with PVC endcaps. Filled each with 3 metal BB's and drilled several holes along the length (approx 4") of the PVC shaft. Added a small length of nylon line at one end for attaching to BCD.

Make a lot of noise on land and I filled the bathtub and did the u/w test ...PLENTY LOUD.

Personally I don't think you need any metal at all ...other than the BB's. Got everything at ACE Hardware for less than $8 (and that made 2 of them). Ask them to check their scrap bucket in back for the PVC. You'll save some money buying a remnant.

'Slogger

Fish_Whisperer:
That's what I was looking for, 'Slogger. Thanks. Why the holes, and what diameter?
=====================================

You need the holes (I think, anyway) to allow the BB's to travel freely inside the PVC. I drilled the holes just a little smaller than the BB's (probably 3/16 or 1/4"). The holes also make the clacker negative/neutral. I thought of just inserting the BB's and sealing the ends but then the clacker would be positive.

Those little suckers make a lot of racket.

'Slogger

Fish_Whisperer:
Cool. Thank you very much. :) (Off to Lowe's, this afternoon....) :wink:
=======================================
Another thought ....The holes also make the clacker negative/neutral. I was going to just insert the BB's and seal the ends but then the clacker would be positively buoyant and I didn't want that to be the case.

'Slogger

You can just shout through your reg!
Sounds like you've got a gag in!
But you get the message across!

Of course I thought it might be fun to make an electro acoustic device to go "ping"
Naturally this would be a very expensive machine! (the most expensive machine in the hospital!) One downside might be that your buddies may ban you from using it because of deafness!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom