underwater photography class

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mike Veitch:
Warren... how much? how many hours?

Course usually runs over 3 evenings (4th if necessary), 3 hours per evening, one pool session (2 hours) and whatever open water dives are necessary (at least 2, maybe more). This covers u/w digital level 1 and 2. I can't remember the exact cost as the shop I teach through sets the fees, but I think it was around $300 if I remember correctly. Extra costs not included for boat charter fees. But I will spend more time than the regular alloted time if required.

edkibbe:
What kind of camera do you have. Is your instructructor familiar with the functions of your camera. When I took PADI Digital U/W Photographer early this year I didn't know how to do anything other than point and shoot mode. My instructor had me bring in my camera's manual about a month before the class started so he could familiarize himself with it.

During the class he had a basic working knowledge of my camera and was able to help guide me through the different settings. I got a lot of useful knowledge out of the class but we were a group of (3) in the class and we were all camera illiterate when we started.

It can be difficult to learn all the functionality of the various cameras out there. What I do is have the students familiarize themselves with their own cameras (read the manual and use the camera) as well as house the camera and use it on land to take pictures so they know the camera with the housing controls. With limited time and lots of different cameras, time is better spent understanding what the settings do than necessarily figuring out how to set them - reading a manual is easy and can be done prior to class.

jjwdiver:
Another option (what I am now doing), is to sign up for a Community Education type of course on photography. Our town is big enough to offer these classes to the general public. No underwater stuff, but it is covering the ABC's of taking pictures.

That's a great idea. The general principles of photography do not change from land to u/w. A solid understanding of these will go a long way in learning u/w photography. The application of these principles in the underwater environment is what's different.

I used to teach underwater photography classes, but I stopped. It was always a frustration to me that my students not only didn't know anything about photography, but they weren't interested in learning. The running theme seemed to be, "show me what button to push on my $200 camera that will produce professional-quality photos every time in any conditions, guaranteed."

I recommend that you first get a fundamental grip on photography and cameras, then get to know your personal camera model. Once you understand that, applying it underwater is as easy as your buoyancy skills allow. -Clay

Mike Veitch:
$300?!?!

I have been charging $150....

i have GOT to start charging more...

Please not before I get out to one of your courses.

Sorry it took me so long to respond...I have been working like mad :(

caymaniac--So, does Rick or Kim teach the class?
Rick is teaching.

Thanks for the information everyone...I don't have my camera yet...hopefully around christmas. I do have my MX10 though...

I have been wanting to take either a community class on photography or one at the community college...but they both have been on days/nights I work... So I will have to see what the spring semester has in it. I will have to give the instructor a ring and see if they are going to offer it another time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom