Underwater Magnifying Glass

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I bought a couple of plastic magnifying glasses in a dollar store. I think they were 99 cents each. Drilled a hole in the handle, attached a retractor. Easy peasey.

I bought a couple of plastic magnifying glasses in a dollar store. I think they were 99 cents each. Drilled a hole in the handle, attached a retractor. Easy peasey.

That works reasonably well, but a magnifier with an air gap around the lens, as in the link above, will have greater magnification for its size. I used a cheap magnifier from Harbor Freight for a while before buying the other. I'm not sure the additional magnification is worth the additional cost, but it sure is fun.

That works reasonably well, but a magnifier with an air gap around the lens, as in the link above, will have greater magnification for its size. I used a cheap magnifier from Harbor Freight for a while before buying the other. I'm not sure the additional magnification is worth the additional cost, but it sure is fun.
Agreed. An elcheapo $1 plain Jane magnify glass from the dollar store is better than nothing. It does provide a noticeable benefit. So it is a great starting point. I always carry one in my BCD pocket. And I find it useful in most cases.

But as indicated above, if you really want to see the small stuff you will need a specialized air gap wet lens. Your dollar store item magnifies less in water than in air. My Subsee wet diopter came with a "handle" that allows it to be used as a magnifying glass. It is great for the very very small stuff. But not cheap...

I got a couple at the Dollar Store. They've been on three trips and haven't rusted.
Mine did not rust either, but then it had no metal. First trip was awesome. Fourth trip the plastic arm broke off. Three trips later the plastic rim broke off.

Now all I have is the piece of glass (and maybe it is not glass?). It now takes up much less room in my BCD pocket but is sometimes hard to locate.

Well worth the $1.

As we hopefully begin to dive again, I have been trying to figure out a good option to buy for reasonably priced magnifying glass to use while diving. Anything on Amazon that works?

As we hopefully begin to dive again, I have been trying to figure out a good option to buy for reasonably priced magnifying glass to use while diving. Anything on Amazon that works?
To keep bulk to minimum I use plastic sheet magnifiers - the sort you can use when reading a book. The best one I have is the size of a credit card. Works remarkably well, costs very little and I buy 10 and give them to the dive guides. Also helpful for their grannies who can't afford spectacles to read/do close work.

So far I haven't broken or lost one. Put a small hole through and attach a lanyard.

To keep bulk to minimum I use plastic sheet magnifiers - the sort you can use when reading a book. The best one I have is the size of a credit card. Works remarkably well, costs very little and I buy 10 and give them to the dive guides. Also helpful for their grannies who can't afford spectacles to read/do close work.

So far I haven't broken or lost one. Put a small hole through and attach a lanyard.
Do you have a link to the one you like? I have used standard type magnifying glasses with mediocre results

I just buy cheap from Amazon. I searched on "Plastic Sheet Magnifier". I found 3 credit card size 3X magnifiers for £3.99. Also, possibly better for photography are the bookmark magnifiers which have a ruler scale along the edge. At least you can use it to give an idea of exactly how big that nudi was. Some divers are still looking for something 120mm when it is 12 mm.

Trick in use - don't hold it too close to the critter. About 1 ft out or more from it provides surprising magnification. And less likely to disrupt the critter.

Back
Top Bottom