Underwater Kinetics, good experience

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vondo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have an UK SL6, (nice light). I put the light in my gear bag and walked a mile or so. In doing that, the light turned on (the switch is easy to flip).

The problem with this was that the lens of the light was up against my dive skin. What happened is the heat from the lamp boiled the plastic of the lens and stuck it to the skin. I separated the two, the skin was basically fine, but the lens and bezel of the light were pretty trashed. (I wonder if the light is intense enough that it needs the cooling effect of water to keep from boiling absent other material in the area?)

Anyhow, I e-mailed the company, explained the issue, and asked about ordering the part. I got a response to please call them so they could make arrangements. They took down my address, etc. and sent a replacement part for free by UPS.

This is my idea of good customer service. It was totally my fault and they fixed it anyhow.

I use the SL4 as a back-up light and when I'm traveling, before I pack it away in my luggage I'll switch the light ON and unscrew the bezel until the light turns OFF. This way if the switch gets kicked on accidently in my luggage (or some nosey TSA baggage inspector flips it on to check it), it won't light. I've even jumped in the water with light in my BC pocket and the bezel in that slightly unscrewed position and it didn't flood.

Many dive lights including the one your talking about produce enough heat that operating themabove the water or at least where they don't get good air circulation can result in melting the lens. This is not really a defect of the light--it is a dive light and not a camping lantern. In fact, I had an Ikelite Modualr Super Light come darn close to starting a fire in my dive bag after I left it in the basement. I guess when I kicked the bag into the corner the light was activated. When using a powerful dive light for a storm light or emergency at your home do not run it continuously, there are better lights for that purpose anyways. N

And UK provides the lifetime warranty.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom