Underwater GPS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mirrocraft:
but this will never happen in my life time maybe my kids will see it
Not unless somebody re-writes the laws of physics.

Felon_Monk:
....... How about a mini INS (Inertial Navigation System). It will be a small ring laser gyro that will be able to measure small shifts in movements in attitude and drift. you would just have to carry a small gps unit in your car to give you a good starting corridnate then align the ins unit out of the water and you are on your way.. i smell patent pending.
icon_idea.gif
j/k
icon_lol.gif
Already being done. Funded by DARPA. The description here has very little detail, but the INS method you mention is one of the goals. It's a matter of getting it accurate enough. How to account for current?

MtnDiver:
Not unless somebody re-writes the laws of physics.
Low frequencies penetrate water and rock just fine. The problem is the amount of data that can be sent. If that problem can be solved, then physics works just fine.

Well I have to ask it. But why would you ever want one? Considering the total distance covered by a diver, not depth but distance, how would it be beneficial? Having one on your boat if you want to mark a prime spot or locate a wreck, yes. But a diver under water:confused: Hey just my 2.

:monkeydan

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom