underwater drinks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikeFerrara

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Looking for a good container for drinking during deco. What do you use?

The keg floats too much....

Good question actually, I was thinking about using a "camel pack" - has anyone else tried one?

A couple of years ago, while at summer camp the boys egged me on to do the mile swim with them... in Lake Norris. They made you do it in stages... 220 yds, 440yds, 880 yds, 1100 yds and then the full mile on the last day. Well, one of the life guards in the rowboats was the Scoutmaster next to our troop... and every day I always asked him where my milk and cookies were as I swam past his boat. Final day he hands me a small box of cookies and a big glass of milk (about half way through). So for the next 440 yds I swam on my back like an otter... cookies on my tummy, and I ate the whole box and drank the milk. I will still eat a candy bar at my safety stop, just to wig people out. I think I will try the camel back too. Just for the effect. I don't do deco, but I do like fun.

We used Playtex Nursers for carrying water and other things subsea. Nice sealing nipple, no pressure drop across the collapsable bag, and easy to empty with a bit of razor blade work on the nipple. The bunnies and duckies on the bottle had a cool touch too!
:baby:

Orange juice and honey provides rehydration and a good energy boost, as well as being the only thing I've found so far that tastes the same both ways on bumpy days. Fresh water is good after an hour or so in warm seas. You can use what you want, but I don't suggest carbonated beverages.

Besides which, the nurser's are small, cheap, and uncool enough to be camp!

The old bottled coke standby is good too, but most newer diver's haven't learned how to do that one yet.

Oysters and scallops are a LOT easier to shuck underwater too! Just eat'em fast before the wrasses smell it!

FT

I use a regular sports bottle that evian water comes in. Put the cap in your mouth and open it using your teeth ( i dont mean unscrew the cap with your teeth either) pull to open push to close type. So long as you drink slowly it works fine.

Andy

trymixdiver, FredT,

Thanks both options sound like they would work well.
Yooper,
Michigan is what i've been using. There is always room for improvement.

Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom