underwater drinking bottles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

syrking

Reaction score
I read an article recently where someone mentioned having bottled water that they drank while underwater. Anybody have any experience with this or know anything about these? I'm wondering if it's possible to eat/drink underwater. Thx.

syrking:
I'm wondering if it's possible to eat/drink underwater. Thx.

I am pretty sure they eat and drink underwater on submarines. :D

Actually cave divers do it all the time on long deco dives. Try the water bottles with the pull- up nipple style tops, the gatorade bottles with these work as well. The Platypus style bags with the straw you bite to open also work great. Eating is pretty easy- the cliff type bars work out pretty well. You realy can't to "meal" type stuff unless you can get head dry, but the "Gu" type energy gels work out ok.

syrking:
I read an article recently where someone mentioned having bottled water that they drank while underwater. Anybody have any experience with this or know anything about these? I'm wondering if it's possible to eat/drink underwater. Thx.

Yes but stay away from peanut butter & jelly sandwiches. They get soggy too quick :11:

Capri Sun :thumb:

Unless we're talking about the air bell at Blue Grotto... lots of... "substances" have been... "consumed" there...

hey OneBrightGator, I'm sure we don't know what you are talking about- care to explain further :wink:

OneBrightGator:
Capri Sun :thumb:...
I'm another fan of Capri Sun juice packs. I start most dives with a 200ml Capri Sun juice pouch in my BC pocket, and drink it somewhere around the 45 or 50 minute point of the dive. Great for "cotton mouth" caused by breathing dry air.

The flexible foil packs collapse as you sip them, so there isn't any problem in keeping out the saltwater. Platypus, Camelback, and other similar collapsible bags work just as easily, but are overkill for my single tank dives.

Things like standard 1/2 liter water bottles OTOH, aren't easy to collapse, and unless you are very careful to exhale back into them, they will suck in saltwater after you get only the first 1/3 of the bottle or so.

Those little rectangular carboard juice boxes are in between in ease of use... you can get most of the juice by crushing them as you drink.

syrking:

Hi yes its possible to drink underwater water among other things. You can also buy a camelback that is a special pack u wear that has a hose pipe which you can just drink out of. I experimented with a caan of beer (in pool while using scuba), Pretty fun but also a bit salty.

I didn't grow up near the ocean, so when I learned to dive in the Pacific in '96, I had a real *bleagh* experience with the taste of saltwater. Thus, I started wearing my biking camelback (backpack water bladder with suck tube and bite valve) on my chest when I dove, so I could remove my reg and take a drink or rinse out my mouth any time I wanted.

After about 5-8 dives I got used to the taste of the seawater, and haven't even thought of taking the camelback underwater since. Now, I don't even notice the salt.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom