Underwater Camera??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have the same question as ruebenray. I am looking for a digital camera for both land and UW. Price range about $500-600.

How about some advice for someone how doesn't know the difference between optical zoom and digital zoom.

I am very new to this board and fairly new to diving. All I know is that I want to show everyone why I am crazy diving.

Thanks,

Digital Zoom doesn't use lenses to magnify an image, it just blows up the pictures at the expense of resolution. Optical Zoom is what you want.

With a $600 price, I'd look into the A95/Canon housing or Oly5060/Oly housing. The Oly will take more than one type of card, it holds two(I keep a 1gigCF and a 0.5gigXD in mine at the same time). It also sports a lense capable of wider angled shots. Oly supports RAW images, the Canon may as well? It has downsides too, like a proprietary battery, the entire package is bigger, ect...

reubenray:
I have been seeing the Canon A510 and 520 at several stores. Are these replacements for the A80's & A90's?

Would like to have some input on this. Are the A80's & 90's better than the new A510 and A520?

If you do a side by side over at dpreview.com (here) it looks like the A520 is the best. Although the flip screen LCD on the A95 is a nice feature out of the water. The bigger zoom on the A520 would be the kicker for me. All this is assuming there are Canon UW cases for these cameras.

There are Canon cases for both, according to 17photo.com

I'm willing to bet the battery life on the A95 is better with (4)AAs than the 520/510s with (2)AAs. A95 takes CF cards, which are offered in larger sizes than the SD cards as well.

Now it looks like it will be either the A95 or the A520. I like the swivel screen and the 4 AA batteries of the A95, but have not completely decided yet. It may be decided by which one I get the best deal buying.

reubenray:
Would like to have some input on this. Are the A80's & 90's better than the new A510 and A520?

The A510 and A520 are the more recent models. Canon will be phasing out the A80 and A90 very soon, but the A95 will remain in production at least for this year or longer. The smaller A510 and A520 don't have the flip screen that the A95 has, and that is a very popular feature for land users.

The A95 is really very versatile, it's a popular land camera, but serves well as an underwater camera in the right housing, and is a very good astronomy camera when used with EP Projection on a good quality telescope. It's my guess that it'll be in production for a few years, with possible upgrades regarding the mega pixels.

If your looking, and have the cash, the Canon A95 would be the most versatile choice in my opinion.

reubenray:
Now it looks like it will be either the A95 or the A520. I like the swivel screen and the 4 AA batteries of the A95, but have not completely decided yet. It may be decided by which one I get the best deal buying.

The A520 is more power efficient (newer technology), so the difference in battery life is not 2 to 1. According to the Canon specs, the A95 gets 400 shots with LCD on, versus the A520 getting 300 shots. Of course, YMMV.

I love my Oly 5050 with Ike housing.

Can't go wrong with it...no matter what anybody else says! :bang:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom