Underwater camera recommendation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Video AF tracking is good. I'm more a still shooter and I was amazed how fast the 31 point or switching to single point worked.

People compare the Canon G7X to the very capable Canon G16. Both have faster AF than compact cameras from even a year ago, almost SLR speed in my opinion. The Canon G16 sensor is 1/1.7" compared to the Canon G7X camera's 1" sensor.

At lower ISO (100-200) the Canon G16 produces nice images suitable for making prints, your own travel book etc. But the larger Canon G7X sensor gives even more detail and dynamic range.

Being a smaller physical camera the battery life of the Canon G7X is less but I don't think it's terrible especially for the convenience of the size. The last day in Grand Cayman I shot all available light underwater with my Ikelite housing and UR Pro filter with and without a WA "wet" lens. I got 310 shots until the battery died.

As I said, a Best Buy IMHO.....

David Haas
www.haasimages.com
Canon G7X review at Ikelite | Underwater Camera Housings, Strobes, Flashlights and Accessories
(Plus Canon SL1 review linked under that housing page)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom