Underwater camera an air travel risk?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Even mobile phones have li-ion batteries and so what? This is totally absurd as batteries only react to water. So the camera in the housing would be safer on case the plane drops underwater....ludicrous
However if you had a big monster housing with the camera in and you were pretending it was a little camera to have around your neck as you were trying to save luggage fees than those people would have had a point in stopping you but not because of batteries

It is highly, highly risky. The odds of it getting stolen out of check luggage are enormously high.

Exploding? Not so much.

That's what you get for buying stuff made in China.

What isn't made in China these days?

The only issue I ever had with batteries was in Amman airport, Jordan and they wanted me to put my rechargeable batteries in the hold and not carry on!

Probably to take attention away from the printers with Semtex or C4 hidden in them :wink:.

As for the attendants display of ignorance that is one of those things that we may never understand. It is policy. As others said - another way to say we can mess with you anytime we want and you can't say crap about it.

The only issue I ever had with batteries was in Amman airport, Jordan and they wanted me to put my rechargeable batteries in the hold and not carry on!

Had a similar problem in Hong Kong. Spent more than half an hour at security while they tracked town the pilot and got the OK for me to take them on board. The leg of the flight from Vancouver to Hong Kong was OK - same airline flying onward after spending the night - not so much. Only time I have had a problem.

The regulations stem from two airplane fires that were attributed to (many) lithium batteries in cargo, one of which killed two pilots. So while the danger is remote, it is more than theoretical and far from "absurd."

Aircraft Fires Tied to Lithium-Battery Cargo Prompt New UN Rule - Bloomberg

What it was that I didn't understand was that the dSLR inside the housing was deemed to be an explosion risk while the dSLR without the housing would not have been an issue. The best I figure perhaps is that they might have had sealed housings that have breached due to a positive pressure gradient inside the housing while in-flight. However, I always travel with the eye-piece o-ring removed so as to prevent any pressure gradient while in transit.

What it was that I didn't understand was that the dSLR inside the housing was deemed to be an explosion risk while the dSLR without the housing would not have been an issue. The best I figure perhaps is that they might have had sealed housings that have breached due to a positive pressure gradient inside the housing while in-flight. However, I always travel with the eye-piece o-ring removed so as to prevent any pressure gradient while in transit.
That post was referring specifically to the lithium batteries rule that was brought up in a slight tangent there.

Those of you who pack your DSLR separately must have more baggage space than I do, typically. I put the DSLR in the housing, with the main housing O-ring removed, and I carry them on. It makes for more compact packing. I like to have at least one change of underwear per day—you guys might make do with less. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom