Underwater Camera advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Betsy

Reaction score
I just starting diving, and am interested in buying an underwater camera. I don't want anything too complicated (i.e. point and shoot type camera), and am interested in any info regarding good quality, recreational underwater cameras. Thanks!

Hi Betsy,
I have been using a Sea & Sea MX-10 for several years and have had good luck with it. While it is not the cheapest of the cameras avalible, I do feel it is a good middle of the road camera. It is tough, takes good pictures and has several optional lens that can be changed underwater. What ever camera you do get, it is an absolute must that it have an external strobe. Underwater photography is a lot different than land photography and a good strobe is critical to getting the rich color that exist on a tropical reef..Have a look at the conversation I have with Missy on this board under the underwater photography section about the MX-10.

Thanks Herman. I had actually seen your reply to Missy, and found it very helpful. I will definitely look into the MX10. Where did you get yours? Are you aware of stores that have better deals than others?

If I remember correctly, it's been 4 or 5 years, I got it from B&H camera out of New York but I have not been looking around lately so any price info I had is way out of date. If you find a good place let me know, I am thinking about buying some of the optional lenses for mine. By the way, it does a good job on land as well, it is great for the beach or boating, when it gets dropped into the water it just floats. I shutter (pardon the pun) to think what my Pentax would do!!!

Hi Betsy - i would advise going digital from the start. You can get a great deal on film right now, I would even give you a great deel on a Sea & Sea MXII that I have been taking great shots with. The problem is I can't get 35 mm film processing on the boats anymore. I'm going on the Galapagos Agressor II the end of September and they don't even offer it. The MX10 is also 35mm film. Sorry Herman.

If you are new to underwater photography, your learning curve will be much higher on Digital. You can see right away, underwater, what you have shot and adjust. You don't have that option with film. You would have to "bracket" pictures, adjusting only the shutter speed for one roll. Then only adjust f-stop for one roll.

Sealife has a good beginner camera and the best deal is at B&H photovideo. It's a little more pricey but you will need this very soon if you want to shoot good underwater pictures.

And if you do buy any underwater camera, remember 2 things, get close and shoot up. Shooting up means getting under what you are taking the picture of.

Hey DiverLS, that was a wonderful thoughful reply :).
However the original post was 6 years ago!!

Chances are the diver has a camera now or is some published underwater photographer somewhere :D

Betsy I would strongly advise you not to buy a film camera. The learning curve will cost you a small fortune in developing costs.

Digital is the only way to go.

I will also give you my opinion on having any camera as a new diver if that is what you mean by "I just started diving". Until you are comfortable diving and have somewhat mastered your buoyancy skills a camera is a safety hazard. You may find yourself banging into corals and other marine life thereby damaging or killing it not to mention the risk to your safety by being pre-occupied with a camera.

Jamdiver:
Hey DiverLS, that was a wonderful thoughful reply :).
However the original post was 6 years ago!!

Chances are the diver has a camera now or is some published underwater photographer somewhere :D
Funny thing is, I just bought a camera and housing from B&H last week, and got a great price and service. Nice to know that they are consistent.

Would you be interested in video? I have a Sony DCR-PC330 and Ikelite case (good to 200 feet) that I'd like to sell. I'm sending it out to the factory to have the case replaced since it is cracked so when it comes back with a new case, it's going on ebay.

PM if your interested.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom