Understanding the dif with an oly 4000

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikeSK

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Last question (at least pre-purchase) i promise :)

Taken from previous thread:

The main differences between the C4000Z and C4040Z are:

OlyC4000Z has F2.8 not as bright as the C4040Z F1.8
The lens on the C4040Z Olympus has 3x multivariator zoom lens 7.1 - 21.3 mm, F1.8 - F2.6, 10 lenses in 7 groups (Equivalent to 35 - 105mm lens in 35mm format) All glass zoom lens including aspherical lens elements. Lens equivalency on the C4000z is shorter than the c4040z.

C4000Z has a Olympus aspherical glass 3x zoom lens 6.5 - 19.5mm (32-96mm equivalent in 35mm photography)

C4040Z has an Olympus 3x multivariator zoom lens 7.1 - 21.3 mm, F1.8 - F2.6, 10 lenses in 7 groups (Equivalent to 35 - 105mm lens in 35mm format) All glass zoom lens including aspherical lens elements.

The Olyc4000z on the other hand has a super macro mode that you will find in the c4040z. the problem is that you can't use the super macro mode underwater because the flash is disabled on super macro mode setting.

Can someone break this down for me and tell me exactly what this all means in terms of taking pics underwater?

Does the lens diffrences mean that the pics are taken slower before the next one can be taken? Not as close?

Will the super macro mode in the C4000z work with a strobe or is it just not an option UW? Does the 4040 have this? DOes it work UW?

Does the 10x zoom in the 4000 help more than the 3x UW? It sounds like it should but I don't here much on it. I assume the better the zoom the farther I can be from my target and still get a decent shot right?

I'd really rather stop into a local Best Buy and pick up the c4000 if i can at least expect similar shots compared with the 4040. That way i don't need to worry about grey market stuff. There's only a $49 difference with the site I'm going with, but i like buying locally when possible. Its really not enough money to bother me either way. Not enough of a savings and not to much more to spend.

of the two i would go with the 4040, i have the 3040 which has the same lens (check my site for pics), a brighter lens underwater is always going to be a good thing.

and I yhink I am right in saying a brighter lens means less shutter time which means a quicker picture, which is a must for underwater as well.

some of the more techie photographers should be able to give you a more detailed explanation, or go the the local shop with a print out of the specs, they should explain the differences if they are any good.

Mainly because of the lens brightness. 2.8 vs 1.8 does make a difference. What this means is that you'll be able to take better pictures without an external strobe, or internal flash for that matter, with the 1.8 lens because it gathers available light better than the 2.8.

The super macro feature of the 4000 is a non-issue for underwater. If you plan to use a strobe connected by a fiber optic cable, like the YS90DX in slave mode, then no you can't use the super macro feature because you need the internal flash to trigger the external strobe. If you use a housing that accepts a hotwire connection and if the 4000 has a hotwire connection, it's possible you could use the super macro but I'd have to research that to know for sure.

There is a technique for the 4040 to decrease the macro distance to less than half, making it close to the super macro mentioned for the 4000, so to me that would also be a non-issue.

If there's only $49 difference, go with the 4040.

All Olys have superbright lenses... so much so that I must lower the white balance a few notches to avoid over-exposure in full sunlight.

Personally - I would save some cash and get an older 3000 series model on clearance. They are 3.3 megapixels, which may not seem like a whole lot compared to 4 but I just ordered some 11"x14" prints from my webshot photos and they came out incredible.

Also - zooming on such small lenses causes major pincushining... so the best choice is to spend a little less on the camera and get a nice casing and external macro lens - IMHO.

We refer to a lens with a larger maximum aperture as brighter or faster because it can allow more light in (consequently allowing faster shutter speeds). It is only "brighter" if you actually use it at its largest aperture (i.e. smallest number).

Aperture number alone does not equate to lens quality, but all things being equal, it costs more to produce a brighter/faster lens, but doesn't necessarily mean better image quality. They often do go hand in hand.

The wide open end, 1.8 versus 2.8, would only come into play without flash or if the subject were beyond the flash's range.

The longer the lens or long end of the zoom, the harder it is for the lens to work wide open. The light must enter an ever widening opening and travel a greater distance without dispersion to maintain the same f/stop. Hence, more elements and more movement of internal lenses, ergo higher cost.

The 10x zoom is rather worthless unless you can focus very close with it. It would you to zoom in on a subject from a great distance, but if you are beyond 5 ft. (the max of your strobes output), what's the point?

As already stated, super macro is worthless without the flash on to trigger a strobe.

Maximum lens aperture has nothing to do with white balance or how fast the camera recycles. White balance has to do with the color temperature of the light.

As far as which to choose, I can't help much.

Ok, thanks peeps. I'll go with the 4040 i guess :)

clive francis
This is a reply to an older post you made. I have been researching past threads regarding the Olympus 4000 or 4040 camera and came across your post( that was made back in October) . I checked out your pictures and, coming from someone just getting interested in U/W photography, I thought your pictures looked great. I especially liked how you captured the hammerheads.

Best Regards
Don

MikeSK
I have been researching a number of threads regarding U/W photography and noticed your comments about the Olympus 4000 and the 4040. From your posts it looks as if you went with the 4040 back in October.

My question is knowing now what you do about the 4040, would you make the same purchase again? Or have there been some issues that prevented the camera from meeting your expectations?

I was going to PM you about this; however, I thought that others doing similar research would benefit from your insight.

I also notice that your profile puts you in Orlando. I will be there in February on business and was curious as to what is available for diving. Are there quarry's in the near vicinity? Or would you recommend a charter?

Best Regards
Don

Back
Top Bottom