Understanding Middle Ear Barotrauma and Issues with Equalizing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mike126

Contributor
Reaction score
As I get older (54), I am finding it harder to equalize and becoming more susceptible to middle ear barotrauma (MEB). Lately reading the various posts on SB it seems that other people are experiencing the same issue. So from a physiological perspective what can cause an increase in difficulty in equalizing as you age?

Can practicing equalizing without diving increase the ease of equalizing when diving? Can you condition your ear drums and eustacean tubes to make them less susceptible to MEB?

I know that most of the medical community does not believe that vented ear plugs are effective with helping you to equalize, but can they create issues?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Hey Doc thanks for the reply and link. I guess where I was coming from is if age has any impact on your ability to equalize and/or susceptibility to MEB? I can equalize on land anytime without any issues, however, it seems that once I start my descent it becomes problematic which I think is more of a mental block than some sort of physical issue. To address that I pre-pressurize before I hit the water and then descend very slowly the first 30 feet. When I do take my time on the descents and ascents to make sure I have equalized properly, my ears don't bother me. However, the second dive of the day can be more problematic. I attribute that to possible slight swelling of the middle ear/eardrum. Years ago this was never an issue. Then about 10 years ago when I returned to diving after a 15 year layoff (family and job demands) I started to develop more issues with equalizing and especially with the second dive.

Back
Top Bottom