Undergarments ???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Can you simply tuck the collar under?
Probably could but it is very bulky, after I bought it I posted about the collar and someone not sure if it was a rep of the manufacture posted that it just fits in there (paraphrasing). I am going to try leaving the zipper down just slightly (which may lessen the warmth around the upper chest slightly) and tuck in the collar. Again it is very cozy undie.

Anyone diving the thinsulate type material, is it worth the extra expense?

I don't do the dives where i need that kind of suit, but if you dive in really cold water, do multi-hour dives at 60 or less, or really long dives at 70 or so then you need to go to those kind of suits There there is electric heating, which cranks up the expense to another level.

Last edited:
Let me put it this way: I might be OK with a simple fleece-type undergarment in the summer, but I wouldn't be without my Thinsulate undersuit when the water temp drops below 10C/50F.

I'm a cold water diver and am a big fan of fourth element undergarments although I will say they are pretty damn expensive in general.

Lately, I've been diving under the ice here on local lakes in about 36 degree water for an hour of dive time. I wear fourth element xerotherm for a base layer/wicking layer, arctic expedition for my warm layer, arctic hot foot socks which are 3 layers thick, and fourth element dry suit glove liners. I will admit this is all very expensive, however I can stay under for an hour without coming up shaking in 36 degree water. At about the 60 minute mark my hands, feet, and lips start to finally hurt/get cold but it's manageable. My core is still warm at this time. I've pushed it to 70 minutes in these temps and my core stayed warm but my hands and feet went numb.

I don't have too much experience with other brands but I can't recommend proper fitting and layered fourth element garments enough.

Also, why are you getting leaks in your suit?especially in really cold water need to keep that water out.

I'm a cold water diver and am a big fan of fourth element undergarments although I will say they are pretty damn expensive in general.

Lately, I've been diving under the ice here on local lakes in about 36 degree water for an hour of dive time. I wear fourth element xerotherm for a base layer/wicking layer, arctic expedition for my warm layer, arctic hot foot socks which are 3 layers thick, and fourth element dry suit glove liners. I will admit this is all very expensive, however I can stay under for an hour without coming up shaking in 36 degree water. At about the 60 minute mark my hands, feet, and lips start to finally hurt/get cold but it's manageable. My core is still warm at this time. I've pushed it to 70 minutes in these temps and my core stayed warm but my hands and feet went numb.

I don't have too much experience with other brands but I can't recommend proper fitting and layered fourth element garments enough.

I'm going to be diving at Mermet at the end of this month. This will be my first really cold water dive. Coldest previous dive was at 60F. The water temp currently is about 40F at 20-40 ft. This will be the first time I dive my new Fourth Element Arctic. I'll use the Fourth Element Xerotherm as a base layer. I have the Arctic socks, but I think I'll get some base layer socks. I have the Arctic wrist warmers and some fleece gloves for dry glove liners.

Also, why are you getting leaks in your suit?especially in really cold water need to keep that water out.
Still new to drysuit so working out how to move with out getting a leak I suppose. It was a used drysuit also the seals all were good fit so just think its user error. I do like the neoprene neck seal

Minor thread hijack - regarding the Fourth Element Arctic 2 pc (jumper and trousers), would anybody know how much weight I'd have to drop if I removed those? It's starting to get warmer in my town and I think my Xerotherm base layer will be enough!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom